An Odd Birthday

Chapter 70: An Odd Birthday
____________________________________________

"Seriously?"

"What?"

"I can't believe this."

"What?"

"T-This what you doing?"

"What?!"

"You sleeping in...on your birthday?!"

I snuggled into the covers, humming softly in satisfaction. "I guess so."

Today is my birthday.

You're probably expecting me to be all happy and excited, but I'm the complete opposite of your imagination. With the family I'm raised in, birthdays aren't exactly celebrated like humans. In fact, they don't have celebrations much considering the fact they don't have the time, because well...they're in the middle of a war. If that wasn't obvious.

But in their culture, the day they are born is celebrated.

Just not like the humans.

Humans have big celebrations involving cakes, gifts, treats, parties, and letting the whole world know they were born on that day.

The 'bots aren't as crazy. Well some of them.

You're also probably thinking about how I'm an alien and that I'm from a different planet with a different calendar and how is my birthday on Earth's calendar. If you thought so then you are correct, however, I don't think the orbit or calendar back on my planet is much different from Earth.

Either I'm just making this up or my memory is terrible, but I think my planet has an extra two months in a year and there are fewer days.

Thank Primus, I wasn't born in the 13th or 14th month or things would've been confusing for me on Earth.

Fortunately, it was 23 days in the third month.

"So you telling me you not doing nothing for your 10th birthday?"

I mocked the same shocked expression as Epps and gave a dramatic gasp with his weird gesture. "I don't think so."

"You're turning 10."

"And?"

"You're a decade old now. Do you know how excited lil' kids be when they reach their double digits? Especially when their birthdays are on breaks."

"Not a human child." I reminded him for the millionth time.

"That's beside the point." He crossed his arms and planted his feet firmly into the carpet, quietly signaling that he was planning to try and convince me to do something crazy.

"You're a child and you should have a birthday."

I sat up, allowing the covers to fall off my body, and stared up at the man with a look of wonderment and confusion. "I never really had a big birthday."

I got "Happy Sparkday" from the 'bots and "Happy Birthday" from the humans, but I don't remember asking for a huge party. Well...Jazz suggested one time, but I didn't know how to have a proper birthday.

"Well now that I'm here you're gonna have a birthday," Epps stated. "A real one."

Yeah, have a birthday on a military base in the middle of nowhere. Perfect.

"How? What do you do?"

"Nothing."

"...what?" My brows knitted together in confusion.