First Love

Chapter 110: First Love
_______________________________________________

"Oh my god!" A pair of skinny arms wrapped around my neck and squeezed. "Where were you?"

"H-Hey," I wheezed and shifted on the bench, trying to face my attacker. "L-Let go!"

"How could you do that to me?!"

The arms released me and a girl with frizzy brown hair placed herself beside me. "Julia?"

"Yeah, it's me! You left me!"

"I-"

"I thought something happened to you! I thought you were abducted by one of those alien robots!"

Well, I was kidnapped.

Again.

"I called you like a hundred times! I thought you wouldn't make it in time!"

"Jules-" I tried.

"I thought-"

"Julia!" I shouted over the screams of excitement that roared across the playground while shaking her shoulders to grab her attention. "I'm fine. I just...was on vacation...to see my family in Egypt. I wasn't even around during all that alien invasion stuff."

I almost died.

"Oh," Her shoulders sagged and her hands fell into her lap. "That's a relief. I thought something had happened to you."

"Sorry, I didn't call." I set a comforting hand in her hand. "We didn't exactly have the best service."

"Just don't do it again." She stated in a motherly tone. "I was worried."

I grinned and opened my arms for a hug. "Yes ma'am." She wrapped her arms around me, releasing a heavy sigh.

"I thought you wouldn't make it in time."

"In time for what?"

"Liza," She pulled away and took my hands in hers with sorrow in her eyes. "I'm moving."

I blinked. "Moving? Where are you going?"

"New York. My dad got a new job there."

Seriously? I make a new human friend and then she's leaving too!

I huffed. "You're gonna be across the country! How are we gonna see each other?"

She shrugged and hung her head. "I don't know. Maybe when we drop by on holidays to see family we could meet up somewhere or we could have a sleepover at your house."

Of course, we can! Don't mind the giant Bots walking around!

"I think we should just meet up. I have this...giant dog at home who isn't fond of strangers."

"Oh," She shivered. "Thanks for letting me know. I'm terrified of dogs, especially the ones that are bigger than me."

You'll be running for the hills once you see mine.

"My mom told me the moving trucks are supposed to be coming in a few days, so we'll be moving out this weekend. This will be the last week we see each other at school."

I gave her a sad smile. "I'm gonna miss you."

"Me too." She pulled me into another quick hug. "But before I leave, I have a question for you."

"Okay," I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and gave her my full attention. "What?"

Julia looked away to hide the blush blooming across her cheeks.