Chapter 70: Familiar Voice

Y/N POV

Before Daisuke could say another word, I tugged on the door handle, letting it swing open. I stepped out of the car, closing the door behind me. I knew I couldn't stop him from getting out of the car and coming after me, but the fact he chose to remain in the car told me he knew I needed this. He knew I needed to disappear as I once had before, knowing a goodbye would only make it harder.

I heard the engine start up from behind me, and soon the sound of the sturdy wheels rolling over the pavement and small pebbles as it left filled my ears.

I was left in an undeniably haunting silence. It felt as though I was being punished for choosing to return to the unknown villa, yet the worst hasn't even occurred yet.

I stood before the large doors for what felt like an eternity before hearing more wheels pull up to the pavement. I didn't turn around, assuming the wheels were that of Daisuke possibly returning to get a last word in. The wheels came to a stop, halting not far behind me.

I reached out to knock on the door, but froze when I heard a familiar voice.

"Can I help you?"

The voice didn't sound like that of Daisuke's, but once I recalled who's it was, I felt my heart throb and pound at the same time. The sickening feeling of fear and heartache mixed together settled in my chest. I remained frozen, refusing to face him.

??? POV

I loosened my tie as I got closer to my home. For the past 24 hours I've done nothing but research and review everything that happened that night. Luka had informed me that Angel demanded they have all of L Corp's staff's cars bugged, but none of them led us to where she might've been.

I was seconds away from demanding a search party during today's meeting, but Doyoung stopped me. I realize now I was being rash and impulsive with my decisions, but the thought of her being somewhere alone didn't sit well with me. I know she isn't helpless, but I've never seen a look so pitiful in those fierce eyes before.The thought of the sad look on her face, and faint smile stayed in my mind. I couldn't help but think about that night countless times.

The dim orange of the sunset began to fade into the dark grey and navy hue of the sky. The dark clouds began covering the sky, signaling a possible downpour in the coming hours. I pulled up to the mansion, noticing something from the corner of my eye. I looked up, noticing the back of a woman. I squinted, trying to see her better through my windshield.

I opened the door to get out, and stood behind it before calling out.

"Can I help you?"