Chapter 147: Search

ACE POV

It's been two weeks since Jaeho planted a bomb in the middle of a company building. It was all over the news, and not even billions of dollars could cover up an event like this. However, we were reassured that no one had any idea that K Group and NCT were involved in any way.

Jaeho and the remainder of his men were put to prison, any escapees were killed. His corporation and reputation are destroyed. His once vendetta for glory has been put to nothing but ashes.

Two weeks ago, Y/N started sending dozens of Shades to search for any sign of Tony in the debris... any sign he survived. After countless searches, it's been fruitless.

"They've returned," I stated in a firm, low tone.

-     silence    -

"I'm afraid they found nothing."

Her silence has been the most dreadful of it all since Tony's been missing. None of us have been able to mourn. While we understand her pain, it feels unfair.

She did nothing but wave her hand, dismissing me. I couldn't even see her face, no one's been able to. She wallows in her office, her back constantly facing the door.

"Look again," has been the only thing she's said in days.

"Angel, I don't think-"

"Don't think what?"

She turned around. Finally.

Her face was sunken and pitiful. Her entire expression was full of nothing but anger, sadness, near surrender, and grief. She clearly hasn't slept in days, and it's obvious she's hardly eaten.

"Nothing," I surrendered. "You should get some rest, you look exhausted."

With that, I exited the room, giving her no time to respond to my final comment. As I approached the main room, there sat Jaehyun on the couch, surrounded by Daisuke, Doyoung, and Ten. They looked as though they hadn't hardly slept either.

"Anything?" Jaehyun asked.

I shook my head. "You?"

"Nothing..." he answered. "Not a single thing."

The room went silent as we all avoided eye contact, eyes glued to the floor.

Jaehyun finally broke the silence, saying the one thing we were all dreading considering.

"I think we should call off the search."

None of us dared to look up, for fear we'd make eye contact and all agree with Jaehyun's statement.

Instead we hung our heads in shame.

After a moment, I watched as Doyoung and Ten nodded slowly, leaving only me and Daisuke without a reaction to Jae's suggestion. I looked up slightly, reading Daisuke's face and demeanor for any sign of a reaction.

There was nothing.

He stood in a daze, his eyes glued to the floor.

"I think," I began, "this will be a conversation for us to hold with the Shades for now. Until then..."

"I think it's time you speak to Y/N."