Chapter 23: Secretary

Y/N POV

"It's an honor," President Kim Doyoung, said, slightly bowing his head.

"Please, the pleasure is all mine," I said, smiling sweetly at Doyoung, and slightly glaring at Jaehyun.

He looked at me, almost confused. He lied to me. Yes, we're strangers, but the lie hurts no less.

"It's good to finally meet you, Ms. Kang," Mr. Lee Taeyong stated. "Please, take a seat."

He gestured toward the seats in front of his desk, and I politely sat down.

"May I ask, to what do I owe the honor?" He questioned. "If you wanted to meet, you didn't have to set up an interview," he finished.

"Why wouldn't I when that's exactly what I'm here for?"

My words were more of a statement than a question. The three men looked at me stunned, then eyed me carefully. I smirked, knowing each of them was trying to figure out my motives, but remained calm.

"Pardon?" Taeyong questioned.

"I have no ulterior motive, so each of you can quit staring at me," I bluntly said. "I'm sure you're aware of the most recent shooting in front of my home. I was not happy to find that a few of my staff were injured during the incident."

He nodded slowly, trying to understand what I was saying.

"Therefore, I'd like to lay low for a while. If the motive was to kill me, then the perpetrator won't be happy to know I'm still alive and well. I'm assuming they'll try to find me at my company, but be shocked to eventually learn I'm quite far from it," I stated. "So, I thought I'd try being an employee for a while until I can figure out what my next move should be. The press only thinks I'm here for a meeting," I finished.

I watched as Doyoung and Taeyong's eyes slightly widened at my brilliance. Meanwhile, Jaehyun smirked at my every word. Each of them took a moment of silence, contemplating my words.

"You're quite open about this topic, Ms. Kang," Taeyong finally spoke. "Why?"

"Why not?" I grinned. "I'm not trying to bring trouble to your company, Mr. Lee, so much as I'm trying to save it."

"I don't think I follow," he said, confused.

"My legal department is working on figuring out who is behind these shootings, along with the PD. So, if you'd allow me, I'd like to work within your company to help find these criminals before they target you, if that be the case, of course."

He stared down at the desk before him, caught in a daze. I could feel as he lingered on my words. His eyes found mine and instantly locked. I refused to break eye contact, showing him how serious I was.

"Alright," he finally spoke. "For the time being, I'll set you as Mr. Jung's secretary, and since he has so much free time," he said, glaring at Jaehyun, "he'll be the one to give you a tour of the building."

What? My jaw nearly dropped at his words, but I forcefully held it together.

"Thank you, Mr. Lee," I said, forcing a small smile.

"Mm," he nodded.

Each of us stood and bowed to one another. Jaehyun opened the door to exit Taeyong's office, waiting for me to follow. As I approached his tall figure, only one thing remained in my mind:

He's handsome, but can he really be trusted?