Chapter 119: Unwanted Thoughts

Y/N POV

"Sorry?" I asked, thinking I might've misheard him.

"A, almost each time there's been some life threatening event recently, you happened to be late," he stated, becoming more serious. "And most times, he was a part of the reason you weren't there RIGHT when we needed you most. I can't blame you for the night of the first shootout, but take the stock party for example. Shots were FIRED in the front lawn, and you two were busy about to kiss?"

"How did you-"

"There was a solid break in between when things were quiet and fine," he said, lowering his tone. "We had expected you to be back early this morning after spending the night God knows where, so maybe, just maybe, if you'd been here earlier-"

"Are you really going to sit here and blame me for things I didn't expect to happen?" I snarled, feeling irritated. "I apologize for not being able to see into the future, but should I put my life on hold and constantly be looking over my shoulder?"

Luka got quiet, knowing damn well my statement was just as valid as his, yet his was made of unfair accusations.

"I work seven days a week from 6am to 9pm, and then I come home and manage a home full of grown ass men to help pay their bills and make sure this side of the city remains untouched by thugs. Do you really wanna sit here and tell me I don't deserve a break?"

He shook his head slowly, taking in my words.

"That's not what I meant..." he said in a calm tone.

"Then please," I said, holding my hand outward, "Enlighten me, and tell me exactly what you meant."

"You've gone soft, A. Things aren't the same, and the locals are growing more and more reckless by the day," he said in a soft tone. "They're willing to test your authority, and it pains us to see your name disrespected in such a way."

I heaved a sigh, rubbing my forehead and temple.

"I understand why you're upset, trust me, I'm just as disappointed in myself as you are, but-"

"No," he said firmly, shaking his head. "No 'but's.' This has to end."

I scoffed, turning away from him in disbelief.

"It's fine to blame me for these things, but bringing Jaehyun into it is unnecessary."

He slammed his fist on my desk before finally letting out the words of pent up frustration that everyone's been holding back.

"God, Angel, can't you see? He's in your head!! He's all you ever think about, can't you see it?! What about us? The Shades, your family. A, I KNOW you're not an irrational and reckless person, but anything that's ever involved him has either nearly gotten you killed, or nearly gotten one of us killed. For example," he continued. "The bomb threat. That was a threat toward NCT's downtown unit, yet the second they called, we came RUNNING because we knew it would be what you wanted. We put our LIVES on the line for a mob we once despised. Again, the Shades and I have done a lot of discussing lately, and we think it's best you stop seeing him. Not just for us, but for your well being too."

I got quiet, not knowing what to think or how to respond to what he'd just said. I held eye contact with him, any expression leaving each of our faces as we did nothing but stare.

"Get out."

I didn't raise my tone in the slightest, refusing to lose my composure in front of him.

"Fine, but at least take it into consideration, for all of us."

Those were his last words before he stormed out of my office, leaving me alone with nothing but the horrid thought he'd engraved in my mind.

Maybe Jaehyun and I should stop seeing each other.