Chapter 41: Banter

Y/N POV

"Good morning, Ms. Kang," Johnny said in a peppy tone as he passed by me.

"Good morning," I said, smiling.

I entered the elevator to reach the twenty-first floor where Jaehyun's office was located. Just as the door was about to close, a hand slid through. The doors reopened, allowing both Jeno and Jaehyun to enter the elevator.

"Good morning, Ms. Kang," Jeno happily greeted.

"Good morning, Prosecutor Lee. Good morning, Mr. Jung," I said with a grin.

Jeno stood beside me, flashing his sweet eye smile. It's been a few days since Tuesday's meeting, making it now Friday. In the last few days, I've gotten to know all of NCT much better, especially Jeno. He and I have spoken quite often, in terms of the investigation. He has a sweet and dominating personality. He's a bit flirtatious every now and then.

"Did you sleep well, Ms. Kang?" Jeno asked.

"I did, thank you. Have you eaten?" I responded

"Mm," he replied, smiling.

I glanced up at Jaehyun who was on the opposite side of me. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were focused on the elevator doors. Is he.. jealous? I laughed to myself, watching as his expression looked more and more irritated as Jeno continued making conversation.

"You look lovely by the way," Jeno added. "Oh! Since It's the weekend, maybe we can grab dinner together later?" He asked with excitement.

He knows he's teasing Jaehyun, but at the same time he's sincere in his words.

"I'd love to-"

"She's busy tonight. Her workload will keep her here overtime, maybe another time, Prosecutor Lee," Jaehyun sternly stated, cutting me off.

"Ah, is that so, Ms. Kang?" Jeno asked.

"I guess so," I replied, holding back a laugh.

"That's too bad," he said. "This is my stop, I guess I'll see you tomorrow night, Ms. Kang. Have a lovely evening."

With that, he stepped out of the elevator and onto the nineteenth floor.

"You too," I waved.

The second the doors closed, I began laughing.

"What's so funny?" Jaehyun asked, slightly irritated.

I cleared my throat, regaining my composure before answering.

"Were you jealous, Mr. Jung?"

"Jealous?!" He exclaimed, a light blush creeping onto his face. "As if," he answered, mumbling the last two words.

I laughed to myself, but immediately stopped once I remembered something.

"About yesterday-"

Before I could complete my question, the elevator doors opened, revealing Doyoung and Taeyong. Jaehyun seemed unfazed while I stood frozen in slight shock at the argument unraveling in front of us.

"I told you to quit acting dumb, now look what happened," Doyoung complained, gesturing toward his coffee stained shirt.

"I didn't see you.." Taeyong mumbled.

"YoU dIdNt SeE mE?!" Doyoung exclaimed. "I tower over you and you're saying 'you didn't see me' ?!"

"You're like an inch taller, calm down hot stuff," Taeyong retorted.

"Why you-"

Doyoung reached for Taeyong's collar, looking almost ready to fight.

"Good morning," Jaehyun bluntly interrupted.

Both of them turned to face me and Jaehyun, their faces looking shocked. Doyoung immediately let go of Taeyong, brushing off his shirt and stepping into the elevator. His eyes stayed away from mine, his face slightly flushed with embarrassment. Taeyong followed, stepping into the elevator also.

"Good morning, Ms. Kang," they quietly said in unison.

"Good morning," I said politely.

Just as the door was seconds away from fully closing, Jaehyun added fuel to the fire.

"Newlyweds, am I right?" He joked, referring to their unnecessary arguments.

"Son of a-!"

Doyoung was cut off by the elevator closing. Jaehyun turned to me, the two of us laughing at his final words.

"He does this all the time, don't worry. You were saying?" Jaehyun asked with a smile.

"Oh, it's nothing," I said, faintly grinning.

Yeah, it's nothing..