Chapter 74: Surprise

Current time...

Jaehyun POV

"Can I help you?" I called out.

I watched as her hand froze before her fist could knock on my front door. I stayed standing behind the driver side door as it remained open. I watched as the wooden door had swung open, and the once bright smile on Mrs. Jeon's face had quickly faded to a shocked stare. She threw her hands over her mouth, holding it closed as her eyes widened.

I shut the car door, slowly making my way to the woman she was frozen staring at. I stopped once I felt a light sprinkle fall upon my nose, the light rain soon growing. In a matter of minutes, the light drizzle had become a gentle downpour. I looked from the palm of my wet hand, back to the steps of the mansion, now realizing why Mrs. Jeon had frozen in place. I too, stood motionless. It felt as though my feet were plastered to the ground.

Standing before me was the very woman I had spent the last 24 hours trying to track down. 24 hours may seem silly to some people, especially knowing how strong she is. Though for me, 24 hours had merely felt like 24 days. With every minute that had passed, if felt as though an hour had gone by, and with the hours, days had flown by.

I guess when you fall for someone, the time without them passes much slower than the time spent within their company.

Y/N POV

Before I could react to Jaehyun's voice from behind me, Mrs. Jeon had opened the door. I'm assuming she was coming out to greet Jaehyun after hearing the roar of his engine before he parked. The expression on her face made me feel slightly sympathetic for being here to say goodbye. Our meeting was brief, but I could tell she and I had clicked in some kind of way. I stared straight into her eyes, holding eye contact as I was still deathly afraid to turn around.

My heart stopped when I heard the car door slam, and footsteps slowly make their way toward me. I could hear his shoes as they made a crunching sound with every step he took due to the small stones and rubble underneath them. I heard his footsteps stop as they were replaced with the sound of a peaceful rainfall that soon turned into a soft yet heavy downpour.

If you don't say goodbye now, Y/N, you may never get the chance to. You don't know when you'll come back...

Finally, after what felt like forever, I turned around. I watched Jaehyun's eyes widened at the sight of me, his hair falling perfectly onto his face as the rain seeped into its every fiber. His suit was slowly becoming more and more see through as the water too, soaked its delicate fibers. His chest was bare underneath his loose tie and slightly unbuttoned shirt.

This is the second time I'm seeing him in this state... The second time a noticeable blush had crept onto my face.

My eyes finally met with his, showing emotions only he could see. I could see the longing deep within his eyes, surrounded by teary gloss. I couldn't tell if he was truly tearing up, or if it was the rain. I slowly took a few steps forward, coming out from underneath the safety of the roof. I immediately felt the cooling sensation of the heavy downpour engulf my clothes and hair, soaking them.

I stopped in front of the man I had once known only as a handsome stranger, but now as a possible lover.