Chapter 69: Courage

Y/N POV

I watched as Luka walked down the call to exit the hospital. It felt as though I couldn't pry my eyes from his figure as it was soon vanished behind a corner.

This time, I truly hope I'm able to return as you said, Luka. Not even I know the outcome at this point.

My attention was pulled away from Luka by a ringing sound. Daisuke pulled the ringing phone from his pocket, handing Seo-woo over to me. I gingerly took the small boy in my arms, holding him close to me. He looked up at me with the biggest smile on his face. I couldn't help but grin back.

He took his small hands and placed them on my face. For a second, I froze. I'm not used to being around children, especially with my profession. I would only occasionally see Seo-woo whenever I saw Seo-yeon, but even so, our interactions were brief. His small, soft hands on my face, and his big bright smile brought an idea to mind I never gave much thought to before.

Will I ever have kids..?

For some odd reason, when the question hit me, the image of a smiling Jaehyun clouded my vision with it. I immediately shook the thought away, placing Seo-woo on his feet beside me. Before I could pull my hand away, he tightly squeezed it with his, keeping my hand close. Daisuke soon ended the call, turning back toward me.

"She's on her way home from work," he said.

"Mm," I nodded.

I paused before continuing to speak.

"Could you drop me off somewhere..?"

————————

Daisuke slowly pulled up to the quiet two story mansion, both of us staring at its front doors.

"You sure this is the place? I've never been here before-"

"It is," I stated, cutting him off.

I remained motionless in the passenger seat, hesitating.

"What are you waiting for?" Daisuke quietly asked.

I remained silent before finally answering.

"Courage."

I could feel his eyes focused on the back of my head as I intently stared out the window. I knew my answer wasn't something he expected.

"What for?" He asked softly.

I deeply inhaled, finally turning to face Daisuke. His expression was calm, but I could tell he feared my possible response. I faintly smiled as both of us knew, this would be the last time we see each other for a while.

"It takes courage," I trailed off, looking down.

I quietly scoffed, looking back up at him with a small grin on my face. I felt my eyes begin to gloss with every second I withdrew my next words.

"It takes courage to break someone's heart."