Chapter 40: Remember

Y/N POV

"Deal," Taeyong said.

Some of them looked at Taeyong like he was insane for trusting me, while others seemed to be fine with it.

"Perfect," I hummed with a grin. "Feel free to call me by either of my names depending on the environment. Thank you all for your time, I enjoyed dinner. I hope I am able to earn your trust in the near future."

I stood from my seat and bowed.

"I should get going since it's getting a bit late. I'll have my secretary forward each of you my contact information," I concluded with a smile.

I exited the villa, letting out a deep exhale once I got outside. Was I really that nervous? Could they tell?

I was caught off guard by Jaehyun exiting the villa, coming up behind me. He slowly approached me, looking unsure.

"So.. you knew?" He quietly asked.

"I did," I nodded.

He got silent looking slightly uncomfortable.

"I didn't use you to get close to them," I reassured him.

The nervous look on his face softened at my words.

"Every moment spent with you was purely because I wanted to, and I've appreciated you helping me with this investigation," I concluded.

"That's not what I'm worried about," he quietly stated.

I furrowed my brows with concern and confusion.

"The night of the shootout.. weren't you scared?" He asked.

So this is what's making you so uncomfortable, my dove? You think I fear you?

"Yes, I was," I paused, "but not because of you."

His eyes met mine and he patiently waited for me to say more. I took a few steps closer to him, my body centimeters away from his. Just like that night..

"Do you remember?" I asked. "I held my gun here," I said, grazing my fingers lightly against his jaw.

I took his right hand with my left, gently holding it against my cheek.

"And you held yours here," I said softly. "Even with your gun against my skin, knowing you could pull the trigger at any second, I had not a single bit of fear in me. The only thing I feared was one of my men getting injured, but I never once thought you would be of the cause of it," I finished.

His sweet, soft eyes focused on his hand as it was softly pressed against my face. He gently caressed my cheek with his thumb.

"I do remember," he said softly.

My eyes locked on his, not wanting to look anywhere else. The moonlit sky above us was full of stars, yet the only thing I ever wanted to get lost in was his eyes. Was it too soon for me to be feeling this way? It didn't matter, not in that moment.

He gently snaked his arm around my waist, his hand landing on the small of my back. He pulled my body closer to his, our faces inches apart. I watched as he leaned forward, about to close the gap between us when we suddenly heard the large oak doors behind us slam.

I immediately removed my hand from his and his jaw, stepping away from him. He looked away, rubbing the back of his neck before looking to see who exited the villa.

"Uhm," Johnny awkwardly said, clearing his throat. "Taeyong needs you."

Jaehyun looked toward me, an apologetic look on his face.

"I'm sorry I can't take you home, will you be okay?" He asked.

"I'll be fine," I nodded with a small smile.

He gently squeezed my shoulder before quickly heading back inside.

Johnny looked between me and Jae before opening his mouth to speak.

"I'll be right back, don't go anywhere," he pleaded with a grin.

Moments later he ran back out, unlocking a car I could only assume was his.

"Lets go," he said.

"Is that okay?" I asked.

"Your boyfriend said it's cool, don't worry," he joked, winking at me.

"He's not my boyfriend," I mumbled.

"Then tell me what I saw just now," he said confidently. "I know you guys weren't just talking, nor was that a 'friendly hug'."

I remained silent, contemplating his question.

What were we doing..? Were we really about to kiss?