Chapter 3: New Kids In Town! Part 1

!!!!!!!WARNING!!!! THERE ARE SOME MENTIONS OF SUBSTANCE ABUSE. IT IS PART OF THE STORY AND IS MUCH NEEDED FOR THE PLOT!!! I'M CERTAINLY NOT GLORIFYING IT!!!!

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

       A FEW DAYS LATER: When Kylie, her dad Kevin, and her brother Nicholas finish eating dinner; Kylie asks her dad if they can go to the park while he's putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Her dad peeks over the Island into the dining room. "Yeah you can, but you guys better be careful. You still aren't very familiar with this town yet. Take a map and maybe ask Evie to come so you won't get lost." He says pointing at the island full of Australian maps and take-out menus. 

       He places the last plate into the dishwasher reaches for a bottle behind him and takes a sip of his beer. He lifts it up and sighs, pleasantly surprised by the taste. "Australians know how to brew their beer. Better than everything I've had back at home so far."

      Kylie cringes at her dad's lack of taste. He looks at Kylie and Nicholas sitting at the table in the dining room playing Dutch Blitz. "You guys can go, but you better be home before dark. And take a map and ask Evie to take you so you won't get lost." He repeats himself because he notices they didn't hear him the first time he mentioned a map and Evie. 

      Kylie slaps her hand down on the table and yells out loud. "BLITZ!" Nicholas pulls his hand back quickly. "Ouch sis! Why are you so violent playing this?" Her little brother asks. Kylie shrugs. Kevin clears his throat loudly. Both of his kids look at him. He nods toward the front door. 

      Kylie shakes her head. "I heard you. I was on a roll. I'll ask Evie. And we'll bring a map." She says as she's putting the cards back into the box. Kylie and Nicholas both push the chairs in and grab their backpacks and they walk toward the front door. "Bye Love you dad." Kylie says as her hand is on the doorknob. 

      "Love you, Daddy." Nicholas turns around and he continues to follow Kylie out the door. "Love you guys too! Be careful." 

      Kevin found it a little odd they were settling so quickly. But he was happy to see his kids doing better since the death of their mother last year. He still is mourning her. He and Karon had only been divorced for about 4 months when he got the startling call that her mother had come to town and found her in her bathroom with pills next to her along with some alcohol. He was utterly shocked when he heard her say that because Karon was doing so well. She was still going to AA meetings and never once relapsed or went back into the Halfway House. But things aren't so black and white. That's what he keeps telling himself. He urged the police to investigate, but they didn't. They said they didn't have the time to investigate an addict's suicide. Sadly that's common for police not to look further into an addict's death. 

      When Kylie and Nicholas get outside, Kylie says. "I don't know why he likes that stuff. Yuck!" She says gagging. Nicholas and Kylie walk off the porch. 

       They walk past several houses that have fenced in yards with dogs. But one house with 3 Golden Retrievers out front isn't fenced. Nicholas looks at them wishing he could have one. Kevin promised him they could get a dig once they settled down in Australia. 

      The young dog tries to walk up toward Nicholas, but it runs out of chain and is pulled back. The friendly dog wines for attention and rolls over. Nicholas starts to walk toward it, but he notices that his sister is several feet ahead of him. He jogs to catch up, as his fluffy hair blows in the wind.       

      There are tall trees everywhere that are bright spring green with thick and strong tree trunks. Although she knows Nicholas isn't too thrilled, Kylie ignores him because he isn't going to crash her good mood. She doesn't want to be in Australia either, but she's trying to be positive about it all. It's helping her keep her mind off Jacob not calling her back the several times she called him. She'd thought he'd call her back as soon as he had the chance when they were both awake. She still can't sleep well due to being 15 hours ahead of what she's used to. And the school hasn't started yet for the new year. They start it in late January in Australia. So she stays up when she can't sleep and talks to Darla or her best friend Lexie, since Jacob won't even answer her texts.

      Nicholas and Kylie walk a few feet and Nicholas runs into Kylie. "Nicholas. Get off your tablet. We're at the park now." She says rolling her eyes.