1: Hurting Ways

Planet Gem
____________________________________________

On a faraway planet called Planet Gem, there were a pair of newborn twin baby girls. Born only but a day ago, they just came home from the hospital with their parents, but their parents didn't seem so happy about their new children.

"Disgusting." The father said, as he looked at the two newborn girls.

"I don't want to hear your whining, it's your fault why I was pregnant Ken." The mother said, as she looked her husband with a glare.

"I didn't know it was going to happen Deneen." Ken nearly yelled at his wife.

"Well babies don't come from space, do they?" She asked sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes and ignored her.

"Whatever. What are we gonna name these things?" Ken asked with little care for them.

"I don't know. Maybe this one Liza and the other one Lena." She said gesturing to them with her head.

"How can we tell the difference? They're twins." Ken asked.

"Liza has a small patch of blue hair in her hair like me and Lena has a small patch of green hair like you. Now we can tell the difference." She said smartly.

"Sure." He replied, before walking into another room.

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes.

Liza looked at her mother and cooed at her lovingly.

Deneen gave a noise of disgust, before merely dropping the twin babies on the ground and walking to her and Ken's bedroom.

The babies cried out in pain from the impact of the cold, hard floor.

They cried for many minutes but nobody came to them to fulfill their needs. Deneen finally got tired of her children's cries and closed the bedroom door.

They cried for what seemed like forever, but eventually they fell asleep from exhaustion.

Deneen gave a long sigh, once the crying ceased.

She looked over at her husband, sprawled out on their bed while he stared at the ceiling.

I'll have to deal with those mistakes for the rest of my life.
_______________________________________________

4 1/2 years later

"Wake up brats!" Deneen yelled.

Used to the yelling, a pair of twin girls awoke from their slumber in a calm manner.

"Um...ma can't we sleep for 10 more minutes?" One of them asked tiredly.

Deneen frowned at the small child. She got a long wood stick and hit her hard on her side.

The twin fell on the floor, crying out in pain from the impact.

"When I tell you to wake up, you wake up Lena!" Deneen yelled, before storming out of their bedroom.

Lena's twin sister ran over her and helped her off the floor.

"Are you alright?" She asked carefully as she helped her twin off the floor.

"I'm fine Liza." Lena replied.

Liza and Lena were now 4, nearly 5 years old. They grown under abusive parents, but they always helped each other up. As they grew their features began to show. They were beautiful little girls. Though their bright skin was covered in bruises and scratches, their vanilla like skin gave a healthy tone. Multi-colored eyes containing grey, green, amber and brown. Long black locks that went past their mid backs. But there was one difference. Liza had a small patch of blue hair like her mother and Lena had a small patch of green hair like her father.

The twins walked into the kitchen to find there parents eating breakfast.
They knew better to not ask for any, they never had any REAL food or a full meal.

Deneen looked at them, before throwing a loaf of bread and a block of cheese at them.

They both sighed, knowing full well they won't get any better food, so they sat on the cold floor in there PJs and ate the bread and cheese.

5 minutes later

Deneen and Ken finished their breakfast and put there dishes in the large sink.

Deneen snatched the leftover bread and cheese from the twins and threw it in the trash.

"Get up and wash the dishes!" She spat.

The two quickly got up and went to the sink and washed the dishes as they were told. After they finished, they yawned from the lack of sleep they were given. Their parents didn't give them no more than five hours of sleep during the day. If they slept any longer they would be whipped, but they didn't want that. With hope and the cutest faces they could muster, they approached their parents hoping for at least another hour of sleep.

"Ma, Pa can ....we go back to bed? Lena asked tiredly.

"No, go outside and play!" Ken yelled.

"But it's freezing out there dad." Liza replied.

" Go." He said sternly.

"But I don't wanna." Liza pouted.

"Me either." Lena copied her sister's anger.

"Go or else. And just for talking back, you go out with your Pjs on." Their mother yelled back.

"Ok."

"Fine."

They both walked to door and hesitated, before opening the door.

The chilly air hit their vanilla skin like a smack to the face once they stepped out. The brutal wind bit at their exposed skin as they stepped into the freezing snow below.

Their father snuck up behind them and pushed them further into the cold, before running inside and shutting the door.

Lena started to cry and shiver from the coldness.

Liza saw her sister and walked up to her and hugged her to keep her warm.

"Why you crying?" Liza asked concerned.

"I.. don't ..(hiccup)..understand..why we are..(hiccup) treated this way? What did we do...(hiccup)..wrong? Lena asked crying into her sister shoulder.

"They have no heart. They just nasty." Liza murmured.

They hugged each other, keeping each other warm from the chilly wind.

They continued to keep each other warm, before hearing a 'pst'.

They looked around, before seeing their neighbor looking at them worried from his window.

" Hey, are you girls alright? He asked curiously.

They were hesitant to speak to the man, since they rarely went out in public, they weren't very fond of strangers.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. Hold on." He said as he closed his window. It didn't take, but a couple of seconds of seeing him opening his door.

He gestured for them to come to him.

They hesitated, before walking towards him cautiously.

"Don't worry, I won't harm ya girls. Come on inside," He said as he closed his door.