The Gift

Stephanies POV

Stephanie: 5 , 6 , 7, 8 . And 1 and 2 and 3 and 4  Perfect ladies . All right thats it for today , remember bring your partners for next rehearsal we will be mastering the tango .

As all the girls packed their things up and left the Floor , I sat there looking at myself in the mirror . A lot has changed in these past few months . My Life has taken a Drastic change, from misery and confusion to clear and happiness. My Divorce was finally finalized; I didnt want much just enough to live a happy life. I relocated from New York back to my Hometown Baton Rouge Louisiana, and opened up my own Dance studio, to train aspiring dancers . I closed the Studio up and made my way to my car . As I was unlocking my door , I heard footprints approaching from behind , I grabbed my mace attached to my keys , preparing to spray away , I quickly got into the car and cranked up ready to speed off until I heard my name , from a Familiar yet unwanted voice.

Rashad: Steph

Stephanie: What are you doing here ? Are you Stalking Me Now?

Rashad: I Just wanted to Talk to you

Stephanie: Incase you Didn�t know a Restraining order Means you have to stay away From Me , Even when Im Not In New York

Rashad: Look we need to talk

Stephanie: No We Don�t , and I cant take you Popping Up like this , You have to leave me alone , Or else I�ll have to call the Police

Rashad: Stephanie, the fact that you haven�t yet , or used that mace on me , only means you care

Stephanie: So Because I haven�t peppered sprayed you , you interpret that as me Still loving you . Your crazier than I thought

Rashad: Look I had an Accident

Stephanie: I Saw , What are you looking for sympathy , Or Now that Your Career is over you want the Happy Home again ?

Rashad: Would you Please Just let me get this out

Stephanie: No I don�t have to do anything , You show up here , Practically stalking me in the shadows and expect me to hear you out , We�re Divorced , We�re Done any feelings Ive had for you are since Long Gone I Suggest You Get back on whatever ship you sailed here on and make a Round Trip back .

Rashad: I Was Diagnosed with H.I.V

The Words we�re Like Quick Sand , It instantly grabbed me and took hold of my body . I Couldn�t Move , I Couldn�t Breath , I Just Looked at him , for Confirmation . This wouldn�t be the first attempt at Rashad getting my attention , recently he has been doing any and everything to talk to me , So this could have been a last desperate attempt to achieve that goal .

Rashad: I Lost a lot of Blood as they we�re testing my blood, they found it .

Stephanie: If this is some sick way of you weaseling your way back into my life . Its sick and it isn�t Funny

Rashad: I Wis***t was a Joke , I wish this was another One of my Douche bag attempts , but its not . Its real steph , And ummmm I don�t know when I contracted it , It could have been months ago , years ago .

Stephanie: No No No No no

Rashad: You gotta get Checked , There is ummm a great possibility that you could have also contracted it .

Stephanie: This isn�t Happening , This cant be real

Rashad: I know , It�s scary but You need to know . If you want I�ll go with you . I Mean I am the reason I caused this , and If you do ��. I don�t know if I�ll be able to forgive myself .

I Just sat there clenching the steering wheel with all my strength , I couldn�t Look at him , I couldn�t bare to hear his voice anymore. Every bad thing in my life was attached to him , he Ruined me , Destroyed my view on life , and now that I finally got away from him , and managed to pull myself up by the strap of my heels here he comes with this , It never failed that in some way , shape or form that this man was at the center of my darkest hours . The anger towards him started to build up , I felt the sudden urge to Run his ass over , I just wiped away the continuous tears and turned and looked at him .

Stephanie: No Thanks , You�ve done enough

Rashad: Wait , Is it �..

Stephanie: No It�s not Yours .

As I Drove off looking at him in the mirror , I made my mind up . If God Forbid I didn�t contract this heinous disease from him , it would change nothing about my new life , He wasn�t going to be apart of it no matter how hard he tried to push his way in .

Xavier�s POV

As the Buzzer Went off , I Looked up at the Score Board and Saw that Sweet Sweet Victory . Which was much like the past six months , I finally had control over my life and the way I wanted to live it . I was Kicking ass in My First season with the Team , and not to Mention I had a 2 month old son at home who thought daddy was the best thing in the world , and he was the only thing that made the sound of the game ending ok , I Just couldn�t wait to get into that sky Box and Kiss him . After taking a few interviews in the locker room I made my way up to the Sky box .

Rj: That was Good Game , Rookie

Xavier: Dude you were On Fire , It must feel good to be back on the Court

Rj: You got No Idea , Unless you compare it to opening the closet door

Xavier: Wow One day at a time My Friend lol .

Rj: Im Sure when you meet that nigga , you gone be Running out the Closet

Xavier: Oh that�s how it was for you and Ant

RJ: Naw Not really , I never really cared . You should give it a try .

As we walked into the Sky Box , Anthony Ran over to RJ Congratulating him on the Win. I Looked around the crowded sky box for my personal cheerleaders but they were no where to be found . I checked the bathroom , that�s when Ant told me she never showed . I Pulled out my phone and called Brooke and each time it went to voicemail . I said my goodbyes and headed out , I was more than heated at Brooke , Since our Split we agreed on staying in the Friend Zone for the sake of raising the baby , all she had to do was bring my son to the games , and take care of him and I made it so she would never have to work .

I Walked into the House , to hear the baby crying at the top of his lungs , I started to calm down as I thought maybe the baby didn�t feel good , so she didn�t show . as I walked past his nursery , I noticed he was in his crib , I picked him up bouncing him , trying to sooth him anything to get him to stop crying . I Continued to her room where I saw here laying there with the remote in her hand , she lazily looked over at me then back at the Tv .

Xavier: What the Hell are you doing

Brooke: What does it Looked Like

Xavier: So you didn�t hear the baby Crying

Brooke: I Did , But unfortunately He�s just like his father .... a Bi�..

Xavier: Finish that sentence and you�ll be living on the streets

Brooke: Why are you here anyway

Xavier: It�s Tuesday did you forget I had a Game tonight

Brooke: Ohhhhhh Sorry , Not really

Xavier: You Know what We�re Leaving

Brooke: Wow wow wow what you mean We�re leaving?

Xavier: Me and My Son, Im getting him the F***k out of this Hell Hole .

Brooke: Your Not taking him anywhere

Xavier: Watch Me

Brooke: You cant do that , You cant walk in here and take my son from me

Xavier: Like you would even notice

Brooke: And what is that supposed to mean ?

Xavier: It means you�re an Unfit Parent , Look around Look at this place its disgusting , it stinks in here .

Brooke: Please you Cant take him , You have taken everything Else from Me , You can not take my Son

Xavier: Brooke , Look at yourself . You need a Pill to wake up , A Pill to go to sleep . Your Not Fit to care for a Child You need Help

Brooke: And Who Do You think made me this way ? Huh Oh that�s right before you try to play the Hero Don�t forget what you put me threw , You Broke Me , You Destroyed Me X . Look what I have been Reduced down to , Due to your Strange attractions . YOU DID THIS TO ME !

Xavier: AND I Have Apologized Time and Time again , but you cant blame this on me , All of this on me . Did you forget I wasn�t the Only one sleeping around .

Brooke: After the Fact, During the Pregnancy You were suppose to be there for me , Love me Instead you were sneaking around town with Men , IM Not surprised If I Have IT

Xavier: Are You Serious , If You do Have It . Its Not From me , Check Yourself at the Front Door Honey

Brooke: And You as Well , I got tested for H.I.V today I Suggest you do the same

Xavier: ���..

Brooke: Your Demons Eventually catch up with you , Rashad He has it , So I guess theres about to be one Hell of a snow ball effect .

I grabbed all Of Little X things and Swiftly Left the Apartment. As much as I would love to not accept any of the blame for the way things played out , I couldn�t I was partly responsible for Brooke�s Break . the Dishonesty , The Betrayal , and Emotional Damage I Brought into the Relationship was enough to make anybody snap . As I sat at the Red light I couldn�t stop thinking about her saying she got Checked for H.I.V , and that she strongly recommended me to do as well . It seemed like everything in the past six months had vanished and we were all back to square One .

Kendrick�s POV

Knock Knock Knock ���

Kendrick: Im Coming , Just a second Damn

As I Approached the Door , I Looked out the Peep Hole and saw from the back that It was Xavier . I Backed away from the Door and hit the air . What was he doing here , what did he want . It had been a solid three months and we haven�t spoken a word. Not saying we were on Bad terms but the Relationship had fizzled out to a watered down friendship that quite frankly should be called cordial passing. I Opened the Door and to my surprise he wasn�t alone , He stood there with a Sympathetic Look on his face .

Xavier: I Didn�t Know where else to Go

Kendrick: Yea well you Picked the Wrong Place , I Have No clue what to do with babies especially crying ones

Xavier: Sorry he�s Been Like this since I got him , It think he may be sick

Kendrick: Oh Boy , the fastest way to catch the Bug is from a sick baby , those things are like germ Magnets

Xavier: ����.

Kendrick: Aye X , You Ok ? You look a little pale

Xavier: have you Heard ?

Kendrick: Heard what ?

Xavier: Rashad , he got it , He got the Bug

Kendrick: A Cold ?

Xavier: No the Other one , the Big One

Kendrick: ���.

Xavier: Brooke Just told me He had it , and she got tested today , and that I should strongly follow suit

Kendrick: No No No

Xavier: And so Should you .

Kendrick: F***k F***k F***k .. that explains why you look green In the face

Xavier: I Mean there isn�t a chance It could

Kendrick: It�s a very Good Chance

Xavier: Its it Normal to be Afraid

Kendrick: Honey When I Go Just to get Checked up Im S***tting my Pants , Now that I Know I Could have Possibly been Exposed to the Virus Im Literally Dying on the inside

Xavier: We Can Go together

Kendrick: I though we agreed Not to ��..

Xavier: Its Not a Date , It�s the Clinic and we�re going to get tested

Kendrick: How Ironic would that be tho , our First date at an Aids clinic

Xavier: It�s Not a Date for the last time , we�re Just �..

Kendrick: Friends

Kendrick: Here Let me try

Xavier: Here But I Doubt whatever your going to do , is going to get him to stop Crying

Kendrick: there there there Its Ok , I Know your Daddy has an ugly face , but its ok he wont Hurt you

Xavier: this Really isn�t a time for Jokes , we could have ��.

Kendrick: And We Also Couldn�t , Now If you don�t mind can you hand me that blanket , he�s asleep

Xavier: Really that fast ?

Kendrick: What can I say , I got the magic touch

Xavier: Wow , Ive had him for hours and He�s been crying his little heart out , and It takes you 3 minutes to get him to sleep .

Kendrick: What Can I say despite my annoyance by them Kids just love me lol

Xavier: yea , I guess So

Kendrick: You Hungry ?

Ant�s POV

Up and down , Up and Down , Has always even up to this point , Been the story of my life . It never failed that the moment it seemed like I Could actually relax and enjoy the life Ive built , something happens . It was like a Tornado came threw picked up , Turned around and rearranged everything that was put into place these past six months . Rj was finally back on the court , I just found a happy medium between , Married Man , Working Man , and Being a Good Friend and Enjoying Life . If I said that I didnt enjoy it at first I would be lying , at least there was never a dull day I thought to myself . But Not I had Grown accustomed to Normal life , that didnt include Sexual Transmitted diseases , especially incurable ones .

Rj: If You Dont Breath , Your going to Pass Out

Ant: Breath ? I Cant think about Breathing , especially when there's a Great chance we could Have ..... You Know

Rj: You can say it . It's Not Lord Voldemort .... Say It H.I.V

Ant: Excuse me but are you enjoying this ?

Rj: Of Course Im not enjoying this

Ant: Then why arent you on the verge of throwing up that Breakfast Burrito Like I Am

Rj: Maybe because theres only Room for One of us to Overreact in this Car .

Ant: Im Sorry , Let me Reiterate .... We COULD HAVE It !

RJ: So

Ant: Are you serious Right Now ?

Rj: I Mean really what difference would it Make ? I Love you , You Love me . And I kinda meant It when I said till death due us part . If we Have it then , We have it . There's medicine out there that can help us live long enough to die of natural causes , as long as we stay healthy , we can overcome this . Together

Ant: But I dont wanna Have it , But I guess I see your Point .

Rj: So are you going to calm down , put on a Brave face and Go in here and Comfort Kendrick cause im sure he's a mess .

Ant: Fine ..

I Opened the Door , and we walked into the Private Clinics Office , Even tho his speech about it Not mattering if we did Contract the Virus Calmed me down , It was still Nerve Wrecking , But Im sure I was Not as Nerve Wrecked as Kendrick . Even tho there was a Great Chance That wasnt the Only Bomb Dropped on us , But since there was still a Chance I wasnt going to tell the others yet , Just keep it between Rj and I .

Ant: Hey You Ok ?

Kendrick: Im Holding Up , But This has Been the Worst Day of my Life

Ant: Well , I can Truly say I understand

Tiara: Im Just glad I Could Be here to Support you Guys ... You too Rj And you too * Looks at Xavier*

Rj: How Ummm Awkward is this , I Guess We've all slept together in some form lol

Ant: babe Now isnt the time for Jokes lol

Tiara: Ohhh see that was the First laugh of the Day ... see I told you it gets better

Kendrick: God she's like a walking Inspirational Poster at a LGBT Shelter ... Your wrecking my nerves more than the Wait .

Rj: How Long is it going to Take ?

Xavier: he said No More than twenty Minutes ... which Feels Like an Hour By Now

Ant: What are you staring at *looking at Tiara*

Tiara: Nothing Lol *smiling*

I Just looked at her with a side eye , why was she looking at me with a smirk on her face . I looked down at my watch , I didnt think it would take this long since we already sent in the swab samples Yesterday . My Foot tapped in a Rapid motion , as My Nerves started to creep back up on me , what if , Was the only train of thought I had . What If I was Positive , What if I was on the Verge of Being a Father . Even tho the Possibility of contracting this Virus was so far fetched , Being the Father of Stephanies Baby was the scariest thing . I Know I changed alot over the course of these years , But I wasnt ready to be Responsible for another life , I mean I tried my best with Raiya but I was in no way shape or Form ready to be a Parent . It sounded horrible but I was crossing my fingers that the Baby wasnt mines . As I looked back down at my watch , I heard the Door Open and My heart Dropped , I Just knew it was the Nurse with the results from Hell , But it was Jermaine and he walked in with that same ole smirk Tiara Had .

Jermaine: Well Well Well , If It Isnt Snap Crackle and Pops *Looks at Tiara , Kendrick Then Ant*

Ant: Ha Ha Really Funny , I cant Believe You told you *looks at Rj *

Jermaine: Ahhh Shut Up I cant Believe you Didnt tell us

Tiara: I Know !

Ant: Maybe Because Its a Great Chance it's Not Mines

Jermaine: I Had No Idea you Got P***y that Much that your unsure ... Typical Nigga

Rj: Leave Him alone he's scared ... Even Tho Ive told him time and time again he would make a great father

Jermaine: He Might as Well Join the Club .

Tiara: Hell Even Kendrick Is Playing step Daddy lol

Kendrick: Wow B***h ! No Im Not

We all Burst into laughter , We Turned that Waiting room into a Crack session , Like we always did when we were together , There were Laughs , Play licks passed , It was almost like we were all back in College clowning on one another . We All clearly forgot the time , and waiting part , Until the Nurse actually laughed at One Jermaine's Jokes .

Nurse: So How are we going to Do this ? One by One or All Together ?

The Room grew Silent as we all looked at each other , I Dont think anybody was ready for the Outcome . One By One She Read us Our Status , With each New face she made eye contact with My heart Beat out of my chest , At that point I had Accepted my fate , If I had it I was Ok with it , Because I still had my Husband , I still Had my Friends , Nothing would have changed anyway . When she got to me I held on to Rj's Hand , as she read the status I Nearly Jumped For Joy . It was Negatives all across the Board I dont think I could have been any happier , My Friends and I Beat the Odds , Life was never really fair to us , But Just after it Kicked us down , It picked us Right Back Up . As we were all saying our goodbyes getting into our Cars I Overheard Kendrick and Xavier's Conversation .

Xavier: Hey I was thinking about Grabbing something to eat , You wanna join us ?

Kendrick: Ummm as Much as I would Love to , I cant ... Heres the part where I stop leading you on , We Clearly want two different things , and Im not ready for what your looking for . I Just need to focus on me and Not a team of three . Im sorry X

Xavier: Its Cool , I guess Uhhh We'll see you around

Kendrick: Sure

Kendrick slowly turned around and walked to his car , I looked over at Rj and he shook his head . I Looked at HIm and smiled with Glee , We we're clear and Able to Drive off Into the Busy streets which was a Perfect metaphor For Our lives .

16 Years Later .....................................................
RJ's POV

Boy: Dude Im telling You she's the Baddest thing On the yard

Boy#2: Man You tripping , She Only Like a 6 what you think ?

Boy#3: it Dont matter it aint like she checking for neither of you niggas

Boy: Shiiiiiit Dats a Lie , all the hoes want this D***k Lol

Boy: Yo Dude Look , Yo Parents making out over there

Boy#3: maaaaaan

As He made his way across the Gym fuming and embarrassed

Boy#3: What do you guys think your Doing

Rj: What ?

Boy#3: Your practically sucking each others face off , Right in the Gym In Front of everybody

Ant: Relax How do you think You were Made

Boy#3: Ummm with my Mom And You ... Its like you guys live to Embarrass me

Ant: you Keep up with that Smart talk and you wont be going to the Game tonight

Boy: Aye Yo Aaron You Coming Or what

Aaron: See you guys at Home .... Oh Love you

Rj: I Swear that Boy is Just like you lol

Ant: No No No Even tho he's mines he's picked up all your Habits and Traits lol

Kendrick's POV

Tiara: I cant Believe your getting MARRRRRRIED

Kendrick; Me Either !

Ant: It's Well overdue Tho

Kendrick: Love takes time right ? and Right Now its My time

Tiara: ughh can we not talk about time , i swear it feels like yesterday when We were all happy to me living together on Campus .

Ant: That was Long Time ago

Kendrick: We're all Old Farts now lol

Tiara: Im Not Old .

Ant: Oh Really is that a Gray Hair I see ?

Tiara: No No No Honey I already told Jermaine , the day I find a Gray hair , He better Hide all the Knives in the House

Ant: And the Scissors Cause if yall let my niece Cut her Hair off One more time

Kendrick: Awwww Farah is so Cute .....

Tiara: Their all Cute Until after 7 .. which she would be Next year

Kendrick: Guys listen at us , Look at us . Were so much different than those kids that meet in Junior High

Tiara: No We're Not , Im still Angry , and Hot . Your still Dramatic I mean your Tux is Blue Baby Blue , and Ant is still Ant lol

Ant: And I'll toast to that lol ... Lets get a move on this wedding isnt going to happen by itself .. Im Sooooooo Excited for you to Join the Club ....

Kendrick: Ok Out Out I Need a Minute to Myself .

Even tho this had been a long time coming , I was anxious , I was ready to Start the Next faze of my life with the Man of me Dreams . As the Music started and Anthony and Tiara made their way down the Isle , I started to get butterflies . As I made my way down , seeing all the faces all the Smiles and Wide eyes , I couldnt help but Focus on one Face and That was Cam's . Looking at him a flash of everything that took place up until this point , all the heartaches , the Pain , the Laughter and happy times , were all worth this moment . As I reached out and Grabbed his hands , I knew this was It , this was the moment I had been Waiting for .

Xavier: Its Been a long time Coming , I Never thought that This Day would Be Possible , All my life I thought I was Doomed to Be Alone , Incapable of every loving someone . Then You came along and I realized that I was searching in the Wrong place , I was being someone that I wasnt , and Without your Help I dont think I would have ever made it this far in life . Your the Reason I smile, the Reason I breath , your the Thing that makes me want to be a Better Man , I Love you , For Loving my son like your Own . And I Know Its been a Long Engagement , But Im Ready , To spend the Rest of my Life with you , If You'll Have me .

Kendrick: Of Course I'll Have you . Truth is We saved each other , Before you I was chasing this Crazy idea of what I thought love was , I thought it had to be Tough , And Burn Bright , Full of intensity . But I was wrong , You are everything I need , Your my calm before the storm , Your my rock , and without you I would truly not know what love is . Excuse this but A Wise Friend once told me that It's ok be Bored , It's Ok To let the Good Guy win , and You Xavier are the Good Guy .

We Exchanged Rings Infront Of Everybody and Kissed , Making it Official . I Know We Probably didnt seem like the Right match , But we were , I mean 13 years together speaks for that .

Tiara: Congratulations you Guys

Xavier: Thank you

Ant: You Guys are so Cute together , and Thanks for the Wise Friend Shout out lol

Kendrick: Xavier Has you to think for that , I mean if It wasnt for that I probably wouldnt have went on that date with you and we wouldnt be here .

Xavier; On that Note Thanks Ant lol ... Ima get us some more to Drink .

Xavier walked away and the Three of us continued to Talk and Catch up . Until Cameron walked up .

Cameron; 16 Years and Non of you have Aged Lol

Ant: Cameron Wassup Man

Tiara: How are you . Let me guess this is your Gorgeous Daughter

Cameron: Spitting Image right ?

Kendrick: Im So glad you two of you could make it , Wheres the wife

Cameron: Well Being 9 months means she cant fly sooo

Ant: Im Not Tryna be messy , but is this weird for you guys ?

Kendrick: No , We're Friends , And we Know that

Cameron: Well , It was good seeing you guys ima go get at this Buffet Lol

Cameron Walked away Leaving Us standing there looking at the sunset

Ant: this is Sooo Beautiful

Tiara: I Know , We should do this More Often

Kendrick: yea its been too Long

Ant: Like Four Years ?

Tiara: Five But who's Counting

Kendrick: Well then Lets make toast to that, At least every year we should all get together for a vacation

Tiara: That sounds Excellent , Our Kids need to Know each other you Know Bond

Ant: Oh Lord , so they can Be Like Us

Kendrick: Whats wrong with them Being like us ?

Ant: Nothing , That would Be Fun to see tho

Kendrick: Cheers To Marriage

Tiara: To Friendship

Ant: And to Parenthood , May we all Prosper in our New Walks of Life , and Never Ever Forget Jackson State .

All: Too Jackson State !