clueless [e]

word count: 646 words
warning: contains swearing

word count: 646 wordswarning: contains swearing

request for @katherinedallas1864

[25th october 2017]

ethan didn't know why he felt so guilty as he stood at the front door, facing his apartment with a sad face. he had to leave. he no longer wanted to be in a relationship, despite him still being in love with katherine. he had all of his belongings packed in three suitcases; clothes, shoes, toiletries and photo albums/frames.

he set the somewhat neatly written note on the kitchen counter, folded with only katherine written on the top. ethan began to leave the house, trying to swallow every detail of the place. he didn't want to leave but did at the same time. this better not be a mistake, he thought as he left the apartment for good.

an hour later, katherine arrived home with the news that she was expecting her first child with ethan. she was nervous but happy- it was something her and ethan always talked about. she was confused with the turned off lights and how quiet it was but thought nothing of it as she walked through the hallway and into the kitchen to set her bag down. she called out ethan's name but received no reply.

coincidentally, she saw the note as soon as she put her bag on the counter. katherine tentatively picked it up, later realising why her name was on it.

dear katherine,

okay this is gonna be really hard. um, i don't know how to start this out but i want you to know that the reason i'm not home is NOT your fault. you did everything right as a girlfriend and were the greatest person in my life. you treated me perfectly and remained loyal, kind and level-headed throughout the entire relationship and i can't thank you enough for that. the reason i'm writing this note is because... i don't think that i can stay committed- especially in a relationship. not in the sense that i would cheat on you, no way. i am so fucking in love with you that it hurts. i just can't bring myself to stay though. i know we always talked about getting married, starting a family and growing old together and i am so fucking sorry but i am not the one who can do that for you. that hurts me to say but it's the truth but i would much rather break it off now than lead you into thinking that i am ready for that stuff. i'm so sorry, katherine but i can't stay and that fucking hurts me to even think about. i can't imagine what you must be thinking right now but you will get through it because you're a strong girl and you always have been. you deserve better than me and you will definitely find someone that will treat you right.

i love you,

ethan

the note was stained with katherine's tears. she let out a shaky breath as she let it fall onto the counter. she had no words to explain how she felt. she didn't know how to explain her emotions to anyone, even herself. how could he leave me without a face to face explanation, she thought angrily, how is my child supposed to grow up without a father.

in that moment, her baby was her biggest concern. she hated to think that he/she would have to grow up without his/her father.

later that day, katherine tried so hard to get in touch with any of the twins or their family but they never answered her calls or called back. for the first time in a long time, katherine felt alone.

it wasn't until i finished that i realised theres no dialogue in this but i feel like it's better that way...? sorry if this isn't the way you wanted it, katherine x