altar [g]

word count: 699 words

[16th june 2017]

you walked down the aisle, your long white dress trailing behind you and your arm linked with your dad's. you smiled at todd, your soon to be husband. he nervously smiled back, making your smile waver but not completely.

after standing and saying your vows, you were ready for it to end and begin with the reception. you were finally ready to seal your marriage with todd.

"do you, y/n y/l/n take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" the priest asked and you grinned at todd.

"i do."

"and do you, todd mccullen take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" he continued, waiting for your fiancé's response. todd frowned and let go of your hands. your smile dropped and todd looked down at you with tears in his eyes.

"i-i... i don't.." he said slowly making you, the priest and everyone in the room gasp. your eyes began to water and you felt as if the room was spinning. "i'm sorry, y/n. i just don't love you anymore."

you choked back a sob and watched as the man you love walked down the aisle and out of the room.

"oh, y/n..." you heard your mum say as she approached you. you shook your head and ran down the aisle, throwing the bouquet behind you. you ran and ran, finally reaching a train station where you can leave this place.

as you entered the train and sat down, you began to cry and covered your face with your hands. you didn't receive any strange looks, only sad and pitiful ones. people felt sorry for you, knowing that nothing ended well. you felt someone sit next to you and put their hand on your shoulder. a guy.

"excuse me, miss. are you okay?" his deep voice asked. you slowly looked up and into his hazel eyes, admiring his features. he was a very good-looking guy.

"not at all." you replied with a shaky voice. he smiled sadly at you and wrapped his arm around your shoulders, letting you cry into him. even though he was a complete stranger, you couldn't help but feel safe and secure. you finally reached your stop which was coincidentally the stranger's stop.

"are you feeling better now?" he asked with a smile as you both exited the train. you smiled weakly at him.

"i guess. thank you so much..." you trailed off, not knowing his name.

"grayson. you?"

"y/n... i've gotta get going. see you around, grayson." tou smiled and walked away from him. he stared at your retreating figure adoringly.

"yeah... see you around." he whispered and walked away, constantly looking back at you.

*time skip to 4 years*

"do you, y/n y/l/n take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" the priest asked and turned to you. you grinned at your fiancé and nodded.

"i do." you replied making the priest smile and turn to your partner.

"and do you, grayson dolan take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" the priest asked again making grayson look down at you with a loving look. your heart and breathing stopped as you awaited his response, knowing how it ended a few years ago.

"i do." he said which made you and everyone in the room breathe a sigh of relief.

"by the power vested in me, i now pronounce you man and wife. you may now kiss your bride." the priest said with a smile. you smiled up at your husband.

"finally." he mumbled and grabbed you by your waist, kissing you softly. you wrapped your arms around his neck and he dipped you slightly. he smiled into the kiss, as did you. the whole room erupted in applause and cheering.

"i love you." you whispered and he looked at you with a boyish grin.

"i love you more." he replied. he grabbed your hand and you walked back down the aisle as everyone cheered and whopped, congratulating you both. you felt happiness finding it's way into your heart and in that moment, you were so glad todd stopped loving you.