am i wrong [e]

word count: 1056 words

request for @grethanfreakindolan

[16th may 2020]

the cafeteria was bustling with noise as students ran to their friends after their classes. adriana sat at her usual table with her friends. although she wouldn't use the term herself, adriana was a popular kid.

"are you coming to the party tomorrow night, adriana?" monique asked, twirling her blonde hair. adriana shrugged.

"i'll have to see. i'll let you know tomorrow morning." she replied kindly making monique nod and continue chattering away. soon, their table filled up as their other friends arrived. adriana zoned out and allowed her eyes to roam the cafeteria, her eyes landing on a guy on the table across from her sitting by himself.

it was ethan dolan. she knew who he is but had never made an effort to talk to him. his hair was scruffy and he occasionally pushed up his black framed glasses. she looked away after realising she had been staring but looked back when she felt his gaze still on her.

ethan blushed and quickly looked away after realising he had been caught making adriana smile. for some reason she couldn't tear her eyes away from him. she didn't know what it was but he seemed so... innocent and kind. different to the other guys adriana known. she felt content with just staring at him and ethan felt the same, although he was confused as to why someone as popular as adriana would give him the time of day.

he is so adorable, adriana thought to herself. did she know anything about him? no. did she have a little crush on him? definitely.

adriana's smile grew and she laughed to herself quietly. this caught monique's attention who abruptly turned around to see ethan also smiling. his smile faded when he saw monique's taunting smile.

"ew! is dolan staring at you, adriana?" monique stated loudly, making adriana snap out of her trance. monique's voice was loud.

"monique, what are you doing!" adriana hissed, feeling embarrassed for ethan and herself. ethan sat up straight as he had never been called out like this before.

"i just caught little mr dolan trying to get adriana's attention everyone!" by now the entire room was watching as monique had began to yell.

"what is wrong with you?" adriana said quietly, standing up to face monique. monique continued taunting ethan by getting closer to his face and ruffling his hair.

"did you really think you had a chance with adriana? i'm sorry but who are you? look at adriana and then look at yourself!" everyone began to laugh and ethan's mouth dropped open as he began to get flustered. he could feel the back of his eyes burning as his eyes began to tear up from embarrassment.

"monique stop." adriana said, pulling on monique's arm. monique pulled her arm away and spun to face her friend.

"why should i? am i wrong, adriana? tell me." monique smirked as she saw how flustered adriana got, "come on, adriana. am i wrong?"

suddenly, all eyes were on adriana. she had never been in a position like this before. adriana scanned the crowd nervously, seeing all the nosy people staring right back at her. her eyes finally landed on ethan who was sat in front of her with his shoulders slouched and his eyes staying glued to the table. she felt her heart ache. she knew he was probably such an amazing guy but people like monique would never give him a chance to be himself.

"what do you say, adri-"

"yes you are." adriana replied making ethan's head snap up. monique's eyes widened, along with everyone else.

"what?"

"i said yes you are wrong. just mind your own business and leave ethan alone." hearing his name leave adriana's mouth shocked ethan to his core.

how does she know my name, he thought in surprise. ethan felt happiness bubbling up inside of him at the fact that the girl he was crushing so hard over knew who he was.

"i didn't-" monique began talking, trying to justify everything she had just done but adriana didn't want to hear it.

"just... tell it to someone who cares. i'll say it again. leave ethan alone." she spun around to pick up her backpack before walking to ethan's table, outstretching her hand, "let's go."

"m-me?" he said making adriana nod gently. ethan hurriedly threw his backpack over his shoulder and held her hand. the pair walked hand in hand as they left the cafeteria. the students watched them in shock, leaving monique to embarrassedly sit back in her seat. they reached the lockers and adriana finally let go of his hand.

"ethan, i'm so sorry about what monique did back there. i swear i didn't know she'd try and embarrass you like that." adriana shook her head as she thought back to what just happened.

"it's okay, i know you didn't." ethan replied with a kind smile on his face.

"i can't believe i was friends with her. how could i have not seen how rude she is?" adriana scoffed and shook her head, scolding herself for being so blind.

"can i ask you something?" ethan asked making adriana nod, "how do you know m-my name?"

"of course i know your name, ethan. we have a lot of the same classes together." adriana replied.

"i guess i was just surprised because... well you're popular and i'm just a nerd." he looked down making adriana smile.

"there's nothing wrong with being a nerd, ethan. i think it's really cute, actually. i think you're really cute." she said quietly but he still heard.

"you think i'm cute?" ethan said, eyes widened in shock. adriana nodded sheepishly which made ethan really surprised, "i think you're really pretty."

"thank you so much." adriana blushed at the compliment.

ethan stood there silently as he didn't know what to say.

"do you wanna eat lunch together?" adriana suggested making ethan nod quickly. the pair spoke as they walked outside to sit in the shade of a tree.

from that day on, they were inseparable. adriana drifted away from her friends and became closer to ethan, eventually becoming his girlfriend. it was a shock to many people but neither of them cared as they were content and happy in their new-found relationship.