Chapter 142 Gifts from the Heart

Dear Readers...you may need to reread Chapter 141,again. I think it published wrong and I just republished it.--- polaris1401

The Brown family had arrived in Hoonah two days prior to the wedding. Matt and Jill did their best to keep the family out of their venue so that everything could be a surprise.

The brothers had decided on a bachelor party for Matt but a milder version that included all the pizza you could eat. The girls opted for facials and manicures at Kay's place.

It was decided that the night before the wedding Matt would stay with his brothers downstairs so that on the day of the ceremony they each could get dressed and prepped without breaking the tradition of seeing the bride before the wedding.

The service was scheduled to begin at 3:00pm and both Matt and Jill had the usual wedding day jitters. Matt had asked Bam to deliver his wedding present, the jade pearls, to Jill before the service. He made his way up to the apartment and stuck his head in the door. "I have a special delivery for Jillian Heather." Bam waited for a response before he entered the room. Jill and the girls popped out of the bedroom as he handed her Matt's gift.

"For me?" Jill rubbed her hand over the velvet box.

"I'm supposed to wait for a reaction." Bam smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

Jill carefully opened the hinged case and gasped at the necklace. "Oh, I almost forgot. There's a card that goes with it." Bam handed Jill a small envelope with Matt's script on the outside.

Jill unsealed the envelope and read the card outloud.

"Because you're the pearl in my oyster."

She smiled and giggled as that was her Mattie in true fashion.

Lila offered to put the pearls on for Jill and moved her to a mirror to see them. "They match your eyes." Jill touched them with her fingertips running across them slowly.

"They're perfect." Bam smiled back as his mission was finished. Jill stopped him as he turned to leave. "Can you send Gabey up?"

Gabe made quick haste of the stairs. "Hey, Jill. Bam said you wanted to see me?"

"I do. I want you to deliver Matt's gift to him." Jill handed him the leather photo book which was tied shut with a leather cord.

Gabe blushed and asked, "Are these what I think they are?"

Jill nodded and Gabe groaned. "Maybe you should deliver them?" Gabe tried to get out of the delivery. He wanted no misunderstanding with his brother. He saw nothing, heard nothing and said nothing just as the girls had instructed him on that outing to photograph Jill.

Jill shook her head no. "I trusted you that day and I trust you today to not peek." Jill gave Gabe a quick hug and sent him back downstairs with her special presemt.

Lila tried to stifle her laughter. The one thing she and Jill liked most about Gabe was his sheer innocence. He left with the package in hand and called out to the pair. "You're going to owe me big time!"

Gabe handed the leather bound book to Matt and whispered, "You might want to open this gift in private." Matt raised an eyebrow and Gabe just nodded his head and smiled in that goofy sort of way.

Matt walked outside and untied the leather that held the book shut. He found a note in her handwriting and knew exactly that he had saved himself for the right girl. The note read...

When we're old and gray, you'll look back on these and smile just because.

He opened the book and knew he was the luckiest man in Hoonah today.

Then it dawned on him why Jill had Gabe deliver the pictures

Then it dawned on him why Jill had Gabe deliver the pictures. "Gabey!"
Gabe made himself scarce for the remainder of the morning.