Chapter 17 Midnight Moon

Lila was clearly frustrated with Joshua. For the second time now, he had started something with Lila that he had not finished, each time leaving her wanting him more than the last. That kiss was no ordinary kiss. Clearly, he knew what he was doing, and enjoyed it. She tossed and turned under the covers until she could no longer stand it. She got up and stood by the window looking out at the trapper shack but Joshua didn't come out. She knew he was still awake because she saw the light emanating from the small window and heard the faint sound of a violin playing.

Lila braved the dark of the cabin moving stealthfully down the stairs and out the front door. She had hoped no one would hear her leave the main cabin. She had one destination in mind and it wasn't the outhouse.

She stood in the cold in her tshirt and pajama bottoms and quietly rapped on the door to Joshua's house. She heard the music stop and the door opened.

Joshua stood in the doorway sans shirt his arms resting on the doorframe above. Lila swallowed hard. He looked absolutely gorgeous in the midnight moon with his hair loose around his shoulders.

"Are you going to invite me in, Joshua?" Lila asked coquettishly. 

"No, Lila. I'm not." Bam responded firmly.

Lila had a look of frustration and confusion on her face. "Are you playing games with me Joshua Brown?"

"No, Lila. I'm not."

"Then what is this between us? Lila waved her hands back and forth. "You obviously like me and I obviously like you. What's with this dance you have going on with me?" Lila sounded somewhat confused.

Bam smiled that crooked little smile of his and said, "Lila, I do like you and I'd like nothing more to invite you in and ravage you right now but I dont want to rush things that need time to grow. "

Lila didn't know how to react to that statement. It was obvious he wanted a relationship but at a slower pace than she desired.

"Well, can I at least come in and warm up?" Lila shivered in the cool night air.

"Only if you behave yourself, woman!" Bam ordered her in the room and onto the bed to warm up.

"You clearly are a complicated man, Mr. Brown. Any one else would have taken advantage of this situation."

"Lila J, let's come to an understanding,  I'm not just any man."

"Clearly!" She pouted which he thought was cute.

"I heard music when I came to your door. Play for me, please."

Bam could hardly refuse her anything after turning her down for the night. Bam took a seat on the bed and sat cross-legged from her. He pulled his violin to his chin and stroked the bow across the strings letting a melody flow.  Lila recognized it immediately as "Ode to Joy" by Beethoven. She watched Joshua play with such passion that she was jealous of his touch on the instrument.

"Joshua, that was lovely. Play another song. " She asked as he could see her try to fight the sleep which had begun to envelope her. He played another song and when he finished Lila was fast asleep in his bed. Bam placed the violin back in its case and crawled in the bed next to Lila wrapping his arms around her to keep her warm and safe. She may not have gotten her entire wish this evening but she had at least made it to his bed.