Chapter 7 The Morning After

Lila awoke to the telephone ringing. She reached to grab the phone on the dresser but Bam had answered the call. "Hello."

The caller on the other end of the phone was silent for a few seconds before yelling into the phone. "Bam Brown, is that you answering Lila's phone? What the hell are you doing there?"

Bam was still half asleep when he realized that he must have fallen asleep in Lila's room. He quickly jumped to his feet and answered Kay back. "Kay, honestly, nothing happened. I just fell asleep here."

Lila was making faces at Joshua as he tried to explain himself to Kay. It was cute. He was almost blushing as he kept telling Kay over and over that he had been a perfect gentleman.

Lila grabbed the phone from Joshua and waved him off to the bathroom. "Kay, calm down. Nothing happened." Lila almost sounded disappointed as Bam listened through the door. "He was tired and fell asleep and I didn't want to wake him. There's no harm done. He's rather sweet." Bam heard Lila reassuring Kay that she was fine. "I'll have Joshua bring me to town and we'll keep our shopping date."

Bam heard the call end and exited the bathroom. "I'm really sorry, Lila. I didn't mean to compromise you. Kay sounds really pissed off."

Lila thought quietly to herself. "Compromise me, please."

"Joshua, it's alright. Nothing happened. You were tired and fell asleep. You were the perfect gentleman. Now, give me a few minutes to change and you can walk me to Kenny and Kay's place."

Bam nodded and she disappeared into the bathroom to change. In addition to having to explain himself to Kay, he could only imagine what waited for him back at the boat with his brothers. He cringed knowing that there were no secrets in the Brown family.

Lila came out of the bathroom looking New York chic. "I don't have anything less casual. There's not much need for jeans and flannel in New York."

Bam laughed and grabbed her hand and headed to Kay and Kenny's place.

"Anybody home?" Bam yelled through the screen door. "Kay, I have safely delivered Lila for shopping duty."

Kay rounded the corner of the kitchen. "I'd like a word with you Mr. Brown. Outside!" She grabbed his arm and pulled him out the door. Lila felt bad for Joshua. She knew Kay was chewing him out.

"Bam, that's a nice girl in there and she deserves someone equally as well intentioned. I expect that your intentions are good."

"Kay, I can assure you my intentions are all good for now but I can't guarantee how long that will last." He kissed Kay on the forehead and smiled slyly. Kay punched him in the gut. Bam winced with fake pain.

Lila peered out the screen door. "Everything okay out here?" Lila asked looking inquisitively at Kay.

"Things are fine. Now let's you and I head to town and find you something a little more substantial for you to wear."

Kenny made an appearance from around the shed. "Bam, we're cooking a deer tonight. You and Lila want to come for dinner?"

Lila nodded at Joshua and he accepted the invitation. "Pick you up at the lodge about 6 o'clock?"

Lila hugged Joshua around the neck. "Looking forward to it." She and Kay went back into the house.