Chapter 50 Forgiven

Kay and Lila exchanged hugs as Kenny prepared to take Bam and Lila back to Browntown. Kay had enjoyed their time together. It was like having a sister and she would miss their time swapping stories. She handed Lila a basket filled with fresh homemade muffins for the Browns.

Bam asked to speak to Kay alone. He wasn't very good at sharing his feelings but his hug told Kay volumes about how much he appreciated her.
"I can't thank you enough. You've opened your home and hearts to us. It means a great deal to me and Lila."

Kay punched him in the shoulder and told him to quit acting sappy. "Do right by that girl Bam."

"I'm not giving up on her. I plan to charm her all the way to the altar." Bam eyes twinkled as he spoke.

"I'm counting on that brother." Kay kissed his cheek and watched as Bam, Kenny and Lila headed for the dock.

The trip to Browntown seemed faster than usual. Both Bam and Lila were anxious about going home. The family wasn't expecting them. Lila was nervous about seeing Matt again after putting him in such a difficult spot with his brother.

Kenny left the couple on the beach and headed back to Hoonah. He turned to face Lila. "Prepare to be overwhelmed." Bam leaned back and howled at the top of his lungs. Within seconds, they heard the familiar sounds of family howls.

Bear was the first to make it to the beach. Being the most agile of the family, he cleared the trees and rocks in a matter of minutes greeting the couple with his warm smile and his unlimited energy. "Welcome home!"
Bear picked Lila off the ground and hugged her tightly.

"Easy does it man!" Bam barked at Bear. "She's not a toy."

Lila laughed and scolded Bam for being so overly protective. "Yea, Bam, chill. We're happy she's back."

"I'm happy to be home Bear."

Gabe, Bird and Rain arrived next and ran to Bam happy to see him return home. Bird and Rain grabbed Lila's hands,and danced around in a circle with her. Bam frowned. "I know. I know. I'll take it easy."

"Will you be staying with us again?" Bird asking hoping Lila would share the girls' bedtoom.

Lila put her hand to Bird's cheek and replied. "No, sweetheart, I'm staying in the trapper shack with your brother." Bird looked to Bam who tried not to smile at her comment. He was pleased to hear no hesitation in her voice.

Bam asked Gabe where Matt was and   he answered, "Tire house." Lila looked at Bam and asked to speak to Matt by herself. Bam agreed and asked Gabe to escort her back to camp.

Lila knocked softly on Matt's door. When she received no answer, she opened the door. She found Matt kicked back on his bed fiddling with some utensil art. He didn't look up. "You can't avoid me forever. Browntown isn't that big."

Matt glanced up at her. He exhaled deeply. "I know. Where's Bam?"

"I asked him if I could speak with you alone." Lila took a seat next to Matt on the bed. "Matt, I'm so sorry about the confusion in Hoonah. I know I put you in a bad day spot and I wouldn't deliberately do anything to hurt you."

"I know you wouldn't. I'm sure it was hard for everyone."

"Forgive me Mattie?" Lila reached to hug him as Bam walked through the door.

"Whoa! What is it about you two? I can't leave you alone for a minute." 

Lila joked with Bam. "Better treat me right." She turned and winked at Matt. Matt bellowed with laughter and gave Bam a hug.

"Good to have you home baby brother. Kind of missed your sparkling personality."