Arthur- finally

A/n lately I've been having a lot of comments saying about how majority of Arthur ones are sad and I realised you guys are right. So I did a happy one, I think ;) X

"Catch up Merlin!" I turned my head to look back at Merlin as myself and Arthur rode onwards throughout the woods. Arthur pulled the reigns on his horse and he slowed to a stop before I followed his lead. As we waited for Merlin to catch up with the both of us we dismounted from our horses and tied the reigns onto the nearest tree branch.

"Finally." Arthur grumbled as Merlin trotted up to us, his forehead drenched in sweat and his breathing ragged. "Got lost?" Arthur mocked, smirking in merlins general direction.

"I, tree, fast." Merlin panted as he fell sideways off his horse. Rolling my eyes I helped him up as Arthur gathered his weapons from his horse bag. I thanked him as he threw me a cross brow and watched him as he pulled out a sword for himself. "What do I get?" Merlin questioned. Grinning Arthur handed Merlin a hand held knife.

"Here. Try not to hurt yourself." Arthur stalked past myself and Merlin, slapping him in the shoulder as he passed. Annoyed Merlin looked at me but I simply shrugged walking past him.

"You did stab yourself with a sword last time." I laughed.

"That was one time!" He shouted as I walked away from him. "One time."

Arthur held out his hand for the cross brow as a deer came into our line of sight. Silently I handed it to him and watched as he positioned himself. Just as his hand was about to pull the trigger Merlin tripped over himself from his position behind Arthur causing him to fall forwards into the King.

"Get off me you idiot!" Arthur screamed and I giggled despite their situation. Apologising merlin stood brushing both himself and Arthur off. As he went to fix Arthur's collar, Arthur angrily shrugged him off. "Your lucky I didn't shoot you!"

"But the main thing is you didn't." Merlins joke was me with stoney silence and I but my lips to hold in my giggles. "Right I'll be the horses!"

"It's not his fault." As Merlin walked away I defended him, taking a step forwards. Tripping over a root I fell forward onto Arthur's chest. He immediately caught me, his hands on my arms and his breath fanning down my face, as I looked up to him. We both sucked in a breath as we realised our proximity and past memories came flooding back.

Flashback

I giggled as we ran down the halfway hand in hand. He came to a stop behind me pulling my hand towards his body. He pressed me up against a wall his smiling lips so frustratingly close to mine. His eyes flickered from my own to my lips.

"You have no idea how much I want to kiss you right now."  He whispered brushing his nose against mine.

"Why don't you?" I whispered longingly.

"Now where's the fun in that?" He pulled away laughing and I smacked his arm jokingly.

Flashback end

"Do you remember this?" He whispered his nose brushing against mine.

"I remember you ending things." I reply pulling away, shaking myself free of his grip.

"I never meant to hurt you." He replied looking me dead in the eye.

"And yet I wasted weeks of crying over you." I snapped, all the emotions from only a year ago flooding back.

"I loved you y/n, I still do."

"Then why tell me that I'm not worthy to rule with you, why let me believe that you no longer loved me like I will always love you?" Fresh tears pricked my eyes but the memories of the past were the cause of them.

"I never wanted to do any of that." He states his features in obvious distress. He took a step forward but I took a step back and he sighed. "My father told me that I was no longer allowed to love you." I sucked in breath and pursed my lips.

"Why listen to him?" A single tear fell down my cheek and Arthur took a step forward and caught it with the pad of his thumb.

"I was young and naive. I thought I could learn to love another person but it turns out I cannot. You have always been the one for me even if you no longer return my feelings." His eyes flickered to the floor on my silence and instantly guilt flooded through me. An impulse shot through me like a bullet causing me to jump forward right into his arms. He lifted his head in surprise and opened his mouth to say something when my lips closed on his. All the old memories and feelings came rushing back in just one touch of his lips. We moved in perfect harmony just as we did before and my hands round their way into the crook of his neck. Arthur's arms wound themselves around my waist, desperately trying to pull me closer to him as we continued to move together.

"I think I saw a-" merlins voice caused us to break apart and look over at him. His face was engulfed in a grin with a touch of pink at his cheeks. "Sorry I'll let you get back to, whatever you were doing." With a wink towards my direction he walked away and I laughed shaking my head.

"Your a clot pole!" I shouted but he simply waved back at me.

"Don't steal my word!" As  merlins voice faded Arthur turned back to me smiling.

"Now where was I?" He leant forward slightly as I rolled my eyes but made no move to walk away.

"I believe you were kissing me?" I winked at him and he laughed. "It only took a year." I joked before pressing my lips back to his. We moved together for a few seconds before Arthur whispered against my lips.

"I'm finally back where I belong."