Your Child Bangs Their Head.

Niall: “Cassandra, shit!” Niall’s yell fills the house right after the dull thud of your babies head slamming into the wall. There’s the momentary silence of shock, and then your three year olds crying fills the air, Niall’s frantic soothing sounds and the blood pounding through your ears as you run through the apartment, emerging into the lounge room, where all hell is breaking loose. “What happened?” Cassie’s head is buried in Niall’s shoulder, his hand smoothing over her brown hair, rocking back and forth gently. “She tripped and bashed her head into the wall.” “Jesus,” you mumble, sinking down onto your knees next to them. Your daughters face is wet and red, her eyes screwed up, mouth open, bawling. “Do we take her to the hospital?” he asks, and you shake your head, smoothing some of her hair back. “No, she should be okay, but if she throws up, then we’ll go.” Cassandra chooses this moment to puke her dinner up over Niall’s shoulder, and the two of you immediately jump to your feet, already moving to the front door, off to the hospital.

Harry: “Mum!” The call echoes through the house, and you turn the stove off quickly, wiping your hands on a tea towel before rushing to the lounge room, following the sounds of Joshua crying. “What happened, guys?” You ask, dropping onto your knees in front of your six year old, pulling him tight into your arms, smoothing down the back of his head, his soft curls tangling in your fingers. The twins look nervous, looking back and forth, before Harry enters the room, forehead creased as he surveys the scene, managing to coax the truth out of him. “We were just play fighting and then Joshua tripped,” Lilly spills, and Ethan nods, “We didn’t mean it, he’s just younger than us and smaller.” You nod, and send them a reassuring smile, “Okay, just try not to do it again, alright? Fighting is never good and you have to be gentle with each other, with everyone. Yeah?” They nod enthusiastically, and Josh emerges from your shoulder, red cheeked and snuffling. You gesture towards his siblings, “I think Lil and Ethan want to give you a cuddle.” The pair rush towards the younger boy, squeezing him tight, and you smile tiredly, standing back up, Harry’s lips against your cheek before you can steady yourself, his hand catching your hip, “You did good.” You shrug, and he grins, “It’s easy.” “No it’s not, and you know it. You’re incredible.” “Thanks.” “Anytime.”

Liam: “Ow, shit, shit, shit, shit.” “Sam, don’t swear,” you say, already walking over to him, where he’s bent over, head in his hands after running into a door. “Here, let me see.” You run your fingertips over his scalp, flinching when you find a lump already forming, Liam wandering in from the kitchen after the hearing the thud. “What happened?” “Sam hit his head.” The seventeen year old rubs the side of his head before straightening back up, exhaling slowly, “It’s better now.” You raise an eyebrow, “Are you sure? You’re not feeling sleepy? Nauseous?” “Mum,” he rolls his eyes, “I haven’t got concussion.” “Are you sure?” “Surer than sure.” “Want me to kiss it better?” “Mum, no!” You laugh as he scrambles away, “Ten years ago you used to beg me to.” He groans, “Let’s not bring that up.” 

Louis: There’s a quiet thud as Indigo stumbles near the doorway, bashing her head against the wall, both you and Louis immediately looking up as she freezes for a second, eyes wide and shocked, before she bursts into tears. Louis’ already over before you have time to get up, having to move Finn from your lap before going over, and by then Louis’ holding her, rubbing her back and cooing sympathies into her ear as she sobs into his shoulder. “Is she okay?” you ask, and he shrugs, kissing her temple as her cries die out into watery hiccups, while you brush some hair away, looking for a lump, but fortunately you don’t find anything. “I think she’s okay,” you tell Louis, and he lifts her up into the air, smiling up at her, “You almost gave me a heart attack, Indi! You almost gave Daddy a heart attack!” 

Zayn: You get the call around lunchtime from Nate’s school, the nurse explaining to you that he’s run into a pole in the playground, and split his head open. You kind of panic a bit, of course, your son’s on the way to the hospital with a bleeding head, and call Zayn immediately, already getting in your car. You arrive in a bit of a rush, anxious, Zayn not far behind, but find Nate sitting up, chatting happily to the female nurses while they stitched him up, and really, as any fourteen year old would, he’s quite embarrassed to have you and Zayn there, fussing over him because, c’mon, he’s trying to chat up the hot nurse here!