CLXVIII

It's so, so hard not to burst out laughing as the two boys come in, looking as sheepish as they've ever done. It's written all over their faces in bright red, their dishevelled shirts, their puffy cheeks, their hazy eyes. God, did they really just get each other off in the lift? They're getting braver. Todd chuckles lightly.
"Nice walk?"
"Fuck you, Todd." Brett says in his normal tone, but the breathiness behind it is really not very well hidden at all.
"Very, very nice walk." Eddy says drily.
Actually, Eddy is different. Todd can see it in everything. He used to be... well, shy. Super funny, witty, smart, dependable, a fantastic friend once you got to know him. But withdrawn, too. Anxious. Insecure. Those last things seem to be falling away. He clearly doesn't care that Todd knows what's just happened.
It's a fantastic thing to see.
"But for real, how was walking. You know, the bit where you actually walked?" he asks innocently. Eddy grins.
"Sorry about that, Todd. The bedroom was just a bit far. But walking went well, actually. I walked around the whole park. I think the chair will be able to go back, soon."
Todd grins and beams at the same time, because his heart is swelling up in relief. He's okay. His friend is actually going to be okay. All the horrible scenarios he had been picturing are melting before him like ice in the Brisbane sun and if he was sure he believed in one he'd be thanking some deity or other right now.
"No worries, been there, done that." he says offhandedly. "It's a handy red button, right?" Now both boys are laughing, and it's gratifying. "Anyway. That's awesome news and on that note... I was thinking we should have a party and I have an idea. Maybe..."
"Maybe what?"
"Well, you know how I hosted a party so everyone would know how you were and you didn't have to tell the whole world?"
Actually. Crap. He never told them his reasoning behind that particular event. Todd freezes for a moment and watches anxiously to see how this will be received, but neither of them bats an eye. Fuck. He's that transparent? He manages to smile and carries on. "Well. I was thinking how about we do that again, but you tell no one you can walk yet until you get out of the chair halfway through the party like some deus ex machina? It'll be such a good way to let them all know you're better."

Eddy halts for a long moment, eyes shooting to Brett, who shrugs.
"Fine with me. Let him have his fun." he says, only half grumpily, because hey, there's no mistaking the afterglow, is there?
"Isn't that mean?" Eddy says. "I mean... you know?"
"Nah." Todd tells him. "We can do it day after tomorrow, you can practise walking in the meantime. You know, look good for our little show. What's the harm?"
Of course he can tell that both boys are unsure about this idea. It doesn't matter, because Todd can see clearly how cool it would be. How the whole room would be shocked, hushed for a second, and how everyone would then start talking at once.
It would be glorious.
It would save Eddy having to talk to everyone separately. 
After a long moment Eddy shrugs too.
"Okay. Sure. If you're sure it's not mean."
"I'm sure." Todd says with confidence, expertly ignoring the fact that Eddy is only doing this to humour him. "I'll get on it!"
"Um. Todd." Eddy adds suddenly, almost onimously. "Just one thing. Not halfway through the party. I mean... I don't want to be in this thing any longer than I absolutely have to. 

That's it, Todd sees what Eddy has hidden like a pro. The pain in his eyes, the loathing that vibrates. He sees now how much he's hated being the invalid, no matter how upbeat he has been, and Todd has to swallow quickly to avoid welling up. 
Fuck it, who cares whether he's sure? He looks up at the ceiling and shoots a quick thank you just in case some deity or other is listening in after all.

He's going to make this party fucking awesome. It will be a celebration.