LXV

Why did he come? Oh, God, why was he stupid enough to come? By now he's positive Brett is being weird. He's quiet, more quiet than normal, brooding, almost. And he's letting Todd push him most of the way. 
Todd chatter flows over him but he doesn't really hear the words. Something about the rehearsal, something about his lesson. He hums at regular intervals and hopes that that will be enough. His eyes are fixed on Brett's back as he walks ahead, next to Ian, his back staunch, his violin case bobbing up and down subtly with each step. 
Is this because of last night? He hated it? That must be it, right?

By the time they arrive at the con the nausea hasn't settled and his heart rate is through the roof. But he can't tell them he's not feeling well, and he definitely can't ask them to bring him back. No way. He's inconveniencing everyone plenty as it is, thank you very much. 
The lady behind the reception desk just inside the main hall smiles widely as soon as she sees him and gets up quickly, walking around the desk and towards him with something in her hand. 
"Eddy! So good to see that you're here again. Look."
She's holding out a box of chocolates, of all things. They look like they're the really good ones he likes as well, from the chocolate place close to the con, but right now he's a bit too busy trying not to hurl or hyperventilate to be excited about that. 
"Oh, wow! What did I do to deserve that?" he manages in a fairly normal tone as he takes the box and puts it on his lap carefully. 
"Nothing, my sweet. I just thought you could do with a pick me up. Chocolate has flavonoids, you know, I was reading all about it in my magazine. And anti oxidants, too. It's actually good for you, the article said."
Todd suddenly grins behind him.
"I think it may also have a fair bit of cream and sugar, Ms. Parry."
Ms. Parry. Trust Todd to know what she's called. Ms. Parry, once the leering-eyed subject of his nightmares, now nothing but a kind, middle aged lady who is bringing him chocolate, to wish him well. She looks at Todd sternly. 
"Now, Todd. You behave yourself and leave all the chocolates for your friend. No swiping any."
Todd laughs loudly. 
"Wouldn't dream of it, Ms. Parry."
"Thank you so much, Ms. Parry." Eddy says quietly. His voice is weirdly hoarse as it folds itself around the name he never knew. "That's so kind. I'm sure I'll love them."
"Of course you will. Healthy young man such as yourself."
She winks and walks back behind her desk.

Healthy young man. He wishes. Still he manages to smile at her, and then he watches Brett's back as he manages to charm a practice room key out of her. 
"Okay, so I'm just going to head off for some last minute practise if that's okay." Brett says politely then, turning to face him at last with the key dangling from his right index finger. "You going to be okay, Eddy?"
What can he say? No, I'm not okay, because we did... that yesterday and you're being weird? I need to talk to you? Please take me with you and tell me what the hell is going on? Please don't leave me because I already feel sick and my heart rate will only get faster once you're gone?
Of course not.
None of those things can be said. 
"Yeah, of course. Good luck." he tells him with another fake smile. "Though you don't need it. You'll rock it."
Lame, so lame. Brett smiles back, but all tightly, and he waves as he walks away quickly towards the stairs in the main hall. 

Helpless, he's helpless. He can't do anything but wait until Todd or Ian push him towards the cafeteria or anywhere else they like. God, how he wishes he could sink his head in his hands and cry, but he can't, there's people he knows everywhere. All he can do is try to keep breathing and somehow manage to get through this stinker of a day.