CVI

Another chocolate orb, another cinnamon roll thrown in for free, but who the hell cares right now? By the bench Eddy shares his piece of the cinnamon roll with the toddler he loves, and he's actually smiling and meaning it by the time Lily is pushing him into the lift again.
"It really is a nice park." Lily says behind him, that same ironic smile from earlier on her lips. "I can see why you and Brett go there to, you know, romance."
Eddy shakes his head at the ribbing. He knows exactly what he would say if there wasn't a little girl on his lap, who has insisted to be there the whole way. You know, two words, the first one four letters, starting with F. He rarely uses it, of course.  
"Get out of here." he says instead. See? He knows how to behave in front of children. 
She giggles and runs her hand over Edlyn's head. 
"When will they be back?"
"Soon." he says as his heart jumps in his chest. 
Soon.
In fact, probably minutes. It was easy to forget the time in the park with his goddaughter but he knows it now. Ten past three. Rehearsal ran until three. They should be back any moment, and why is it suddenly hard to sit still and breathe normally?
"He's taking me somewhere." he says shyly. "He apped me. I have no idea where, though."
The lift pings and Lily pulls him out and starts him towards the door.
"God, this is heavy. You should try a bugaboo instead, or maybe eat less cinnamon rolls. He's taking you somewhere? Like, in particular?"
"Yeah. He wouldn't say where."
She laughs lightly as she kicks off her shoes and settles him by the couch.
"And you're wondering whether he actually likes you back? Okay."
His mouth is already opening to retort that when he hears footsteps. 
Footsteps! 
His eyes fly to the door. This is so stupid, but his whole body screams for him. Please, let it be Brett, back first, don't let it be Todd or Ian. He needs him, he needs...
The door opens and Brett rushes in and kicks his shoes off.
He's... wait. He's out of breath? Brett looks at him with wide, weary eyes that are so, so shiny. 
Shinier than he's seen them. He hesitates for just a moment, close to him, his eyes flicking to Lily once, then he walks to the sink to wash his hands.
"You good?" he asks. 
"Yes. Had a lovely time."
"That's my cue!" Lily says as she gets up and picks up Edlyn's toys from the coffee table, shoving them in her bag. "You guys have fun. It was lovely seeing you, Eddy."
"Um, you too, Lils. Thanks so much. For everything."
She kisses his forehead, he hugs Edlyn one last time, and they're gone before he knows it. 

How could he tell Brett that he wishes he would kiss him? It would involve talking. He still wishes he would, though, he wants to feel him, just for a second, the contact precious. 
I mean, he would want to? Right? He would? 
Brett's face gives nothing away, however, he just sits down and puts his hand on his knee. Butterflies swarm instantly, out from the hand and through his belly. 
"Hi." he says quietly. God, he wishes he could lean over and kiss him, really kiss him for just a second. But no, he mustn't. He'll wait, until Brett initiates, or until...
Well, he'll wait. 
"So, um, we're going somewhere?" he asks shyly. Brett's face breaks out in a huge smile.
"Yep. In a couple of hours. Mind if I do some practice first? And I need some lunch, never got a chance to eat."
"I've only eaten chocolate and cinnamon."
Brett laughs and gets up. 
"I'll make you a sandwich too."
"Thanks, Brett."
There is a lightness now that he's back, he's here. Eddy can breathe easily, even if he didn't know he wasn't, before. 
He stares at his back as he picks up bread and some soft cheese that's been smelling good in the fridge. Always slightly hunched, but his figure...
Had he ever known what a great figure he has?
Eddy sits back in his chair and watches him prep. And you know what? In all honesty he could sit here and watch him forever.