LIV

"Whoa, it smells delicious in here!"
Eddy has rolled into the room, Brett now fully dressed behind him, pushing the chair Todd knows Eddy hates.
"Yeah, Brett has mentioned that he needs to gain weight." Todd quips. "So I figured some bacon would do the trick."
Brett grins.
"Yeah, fuck you too, Todd. But I'll have extra bacon just in case."
"Next doctor's visit will be you, you know, for your cholesterol." Todd ribs.
His joke earns him a middle finger from his friend, which makes him laugh out loud.
"Actually, no." Eddy pipes up. "Unless he plans to eat every piece of bacon in Brisbane in the next five days. I have the scan next week, I just got called."
"Mate, that's awesome news!" Ian exclaims from the door opening. He's just walking into the room, looking fabulous in black jeans and a white button down shirt, his viola case already in his hand. Todd knows he has his viola lesson at nine thirty, so he had better hurry up and get him fed. "That's so soon!"
Eddy nods and looks down at his legs.
Look, Todd knows as well as Ian does how special it is that the hospital has rushed him through, special as well worrying, in fact. Because would they be rushing if it was just nothing? Clearly it's still not as soon as Eddy wanted, though. It's not as soon as any of them wanted, in fact. Worry pulls through Todd hard, because he's stupidly been reading up on M.S., and he knows that that must be one of the things they want to check with the scan. It does sound awfully like what is going on with Eddy, symptom wise. Pain. Loss of strength. He's also read enough to know that if it is M.S. it's a life sentence. A life full of medication, pain, and eventual death. Not a life full of music, no orchestras, no soloist spots. He takes a deep breath and makes sure to keep his face upbeat as he slides the eggs into the hot pan and starts stirring them.
"Awesome, Eddy." he says once he trusts his voice to be upbeat. "I mean, I get you'd rather have it yesterday, but it's much better than it could have been, yeah? Is Brett driving you?"
Brett nods. "Yeah, if I can borrow the car again."
Todd humphs as he turns off the fire and picks up the oven glove for the oven tray.
"You're well aware you can always borrow the fucking car for this. Anyway. Bacon and eggs are ready. Come get it while it's hot and crispy.

It's all he can do right now, you see? He can make sure they're all fed, and that they have a safe place here, between these four walls, at least. Whatever else is going on is clearly between the two of them and there's precious little he can do to help. He slides the eggs into the nice blue porcelain bowl and carries it to the table for his friends and his love to eat.
God, how he wishes he could do more, though. 

"Have a good lesson." he says quietly in the hallway, twenty minutes later with all of the bacon duly eaten by hungry boys. He's almost shut the door behind them so the boys in question don't overhear him saying goodbye to his love. "You sure you're good if I help get Eddy to school?"
"Absolutely. I'll just rush off. I'll see you after my lesson and before the rehearsal."
"Okay. I love you, you know?" 
He smiles and leans forward so he can peck his lips, his tongue grazing the bottom part for just a second. 
"I love you too." Ian smiles. He adjusts the strap of his viola case and takes the step towards the stairs. 
"Don't worry too much, yeah? We'll know more soon."
Todd smiles, turns him around again and kisses him one more time.
"I'll try. You too. Good luck."

He watches him as he walks lithely down the first flight of stairs, then listens as his footsteps fade away. Then he takes a deep, deep breath and turns around to go back inside and get Eddy to the con, before his thoughts have a chance to go even wilder than they've already been.