XXXIV

Todd opens the door for the twentieth time and beams at the brass guys that have turned up at the top of the stairs. 
Brass are always good to have at your party, because they bring this laid-back vibe that nothing else does. 
Laid-back is good. 
He hands out beers and leads the guys out to the roof terrace where a good party is building. Eddy is in the corner in his chair. Todd knows he absolutely hates being in it, but it makes sense. He can't walk. How's he supposed to get around any other way? Anna is sitting beside him, already on at least her third beer. Brett and Ian are standing close, chatting to some woodwinds. 
Okay. It all seems to be going alright.
Todd knows full well that Eddy wasn't overly enthusiastic about this, but he's sure it's just what he needs anyway. Everyone knows, now. It's one, quick evening of awkwardness and the whole con is aware of what's going on with him, so he can relax about it and take his time to get back out of the fucking chair. Nobody's made a fuss, either, just like he knew they wouldn't. 
He really hopes Eddy is feeling supported, rather than just awkward. 
"Toddy! Bro! Get your arse over here."
He smiles and goes over to where Ian is chatting to their friend Ivo. 

The night passes easily, it's getting colder, of course, it is winter after all, but does it ever really get cold here? People are putting on sweaters and huddling around the barbie, but nobody is going inside. A violist whose name he doesn't know is snogging some flute girl in the corner and Todd guesses from how into it they are that they won't be getting cold anytime soon. The darkness only adds to the occasion, the only light coming from the windows and the fairy lights he's hung up earlier. He looks around with a smile. It looks like everybody is having a good time. 
He freezes as his eyes glance over Eddy's corner. He's not left it for a while, but by now Anna is sitting on his lap. 
Wait, what? They've been friends for ages. There's never been any sort of romantic vibe between them, but there clearly is, now. She leans over to whisper something in his ear and he just about makes out his answering smile. 
"That one's a surprise, huh?" Ian says in his ear.
"Yeah. How long's that been going on?"
Ian smiles and kisses his cheek, his tongue just peeping out and grazing his stubble. 
"A bit."
"Hmm." Todd says as he turns to his love and kisses him. Then he lets go and chuckles. "Amazing what some bottles of beer can do, huh?"
Ian grins back, and Todd knows that he's remembering too, how the first time they kissed was because they had drunk too much. But Todd's pretty sure Eddy has no feelings at all for Anna apart from friendship, so he'll probably regret what he's doing in the morning. 
Nothing much he can do about it now, though. So he kisses Ian again and resumes his chat with Ivo. 
He doesn't miss when Anna kisses Eddy, though. First gently, but quickly it becomes the kind of kiss that leads to more. It's no surprise to him at all when after a few minutes she gets off his lap and starts pushing the wheelchair into the house. 
And just then, just as Todd wants to shrug it off and turn to his love to kiss him for real, now, with tongue, a similar sort of kiss as the one he just witnessed, he catches Brett's eyes. He's standing right under a fairy light, so he can see them bright as day. 
They're sober as fuck, and they're staring right at Eddy's and Anna's retreating backs.

Todd shakes his head. Look. Eddy's being an idiot, he's pretty sure. 
But doesn't he deserve to be one, just a little bit, right now?