LXXXIX

Eddy can't believe it, but it looks like they actually got away with that. Both Todd and Ian are being completely normal, no looks, no comments.
Surely if they had heard them there would be comments?
Meanwhile he can't help himself, he keeps looking at Brett out of the corner of his eye as he sits at their breakfast table, wolfing down toast with eggs and bacon as if he hasn't eaten in three days. He's looking... happy. Really happy. Hungry, too, apparently.
Is he happy because of...
Something floods through him and he has to check himself before his cheeks turn bright red.
That was nice.
Oh, that was so nice.
Wait. Was that... was that too nice?
"Hey, earth calling Eddy, where's your head?"
He looks up as if he's been caught. Todd's laughing face stares at him from across the table.
"I'm here." he says feebly. A thought insipidly pushes itself up at him but no, no.
No.
Not now. Not here. It has... it could...
He shakes his head hard and manages to smile at his great friend.
"You have rehearsal, right?"
"Yep. Are you coming?"
"Absolutely no fucking way." he states before he realises his filter must be down. Shit. Too much thinking. Too many tubes, too much... not moving, and showering, and now look. He scrambles for a way to backtrack on that but before he can Todd grins.
"Good. Because I have a surprise."
Before Eddy even has a chance to open his mouth to ask what, when, why, their doorbell shrills through his stunned silence.
"Ah! Speak of the devil."
Todd gets up with an over the top smile, drags the door open and lightly jogs down the stairs.
"A surprise? Do you know anything about this, Brett?"
Brett shrugs and deadpan or no, Eddy can see clearly that he doesn't.
"No idea. You, Ian?"
"Nope. I just know he was texting someone last night, but he didn't say who it was."
Why is his heart rate suddenly so high? Why is it hard to breathe, even though Brett is right there next to him? Brett knows it, too, because a hand suddenly appears on his thigh. He grabs it with his own and tries to keep it together.
A surprise? He doesn't really like them at the best of times. It's not the best of times right now. What was Todd even thinking of? Or is it just more chocolate or something?
The lift door pings through the open front door and voices float through.
Fuck. Definitely not chocolate then. A person.

"Eddy!"
"What the... John? How are you here?"
His mouth has fallen open and his heart is starting up again.
John. His mentor. His friend. He could cry, seeing him.
"I'm in Brisbane for the week and I ran into Todd just as I walked into the con yesterday." John kicks his shoes off and steps forward. Eddy smiles. It's so... John, to stop and realise that this is a no-shoe household, even though he's European himself. John sits down opposite him on the chair Todd just vacated and eyes him with a serious look he's never seen before.
They met years ago, of course, back when he was Mr. Davids to him, back when he invited the quartet to Perth, to play with that youth orchestra that Anna was concert master of. He tries not to cringe as he thinks of her, instead thinking back on the time they had then. It was awesome, and John has been a mentor to him since then, offering advice, inviting them to other concerts, a teacher and a friend. He has a quiet wisdom about him that seems to spread over to Eddy now, calming his heart further.
"He told me you're not well, and suggested this... surprise." John carries on. "I hope that's okay."
Eddy nods instantly. First out of ingrained civility, but he quickly realises it's not just that.
"Yes. Very okay. It's great to see you."
"So..." Todd pipes up from where he's standing. "I thought maybe you two could hang? We got rehearsal?"
"Um."
Eddy's heart rate is already spiking again. Oh, God. He means... all of them leaving? Brett going too, and him dependent on John, who knows nothing about anything? But he knows very well that Brett should go. He needs to, in fact. He's second chair. He can't miss every rehearsal, he'll lose his spot.
"Um, is John good with that? I mean..." he says softly.
"Of course. I can help out." John says. Clearly Todd has told him what needs to be done? He'll be fine, right? And that's when Eddy catches Brett's eye beside him. Worried. Almost... sad. He smiles at him in a way he hopes is encouraging.
"Sure?" Brett asks him quietly, and really, that one word says it all. He could say no, you see, and he would stay.
He shouldn't stay, though.
"Absolutely." Eddy states calmly.  "Bring back stories of how it went."