CXLII

Todd jumps up the second they get into the house. 
"You're here. What did he say?"
"Todd... didn't you have rehearsal?" Brett starts. He's calm again, now. No one could even begin to see he was crying in Eddy's arms not twenty minutes ago. His face is normal, his eyes their regular kind selves. 
"Fuck rehearsal." Todd says wildly. "I needed to..."
"Um. Thank you so much, bro." Eddy interjects calmly before he knows it, more calmly than he could even have imagined being capable of, before. "Thank you so much for caring, Toddy. You've been such a great friend through this. It's more than I deserved."
Todd's eyes fly from Eddy to Brett and back.
"Wait. Whoa. What the hell... you what's happened with you two?"
Brett grins.
"Man, you got good eye. But I'll let Eddy tell you."
Eddy shakes his head in bewilderment. Is this guy is fucking psychic or something? How has he seen already that something has changed between them?
"He said I'll be okay, Todd. He said..." he swallows because the tears are back and he doesn't want to cry, not now... he looks up at Brett before he starts to, who nods and takes over.
"He called it a conversion disorder. Basically something happens in your brain and your body stops working properly. And because he's better now he can try walking with a physio tomorrow, the doctor thinks it's as simple as that. And yes, before you ask, I also told him I love him."

Never, ever has Eddy seen Todd more shocked. He freezes in his spot and swallows once, twice, three times.
"A... a what now disorder?" he manages after at least half a minute. 
"Conversion."
"Wait. You mean... you're going to be okay?"
Eddy nods and bites back the tears. 
"It sounds like it, Toddy."
Todd gets up, welling up himself, and walks over to Eddy. He puts his hand on his shoulder and squeezes hard enough for it to smart. 
"Whoa." he swipes a tear away with his free hand. "Fuck. Sorry for bawling."
Brett grins again and shrugs. 
"You should have seen me in the car, a few minutes ago."
"Shit. Bro. He's really going to be okay?"
Brett nods once.
"That's what the doctor thinks."
"Wow. And you told him you love him." Todd states then, turning to Brett, his swag suddenly back with a vengeance, stray tears drying on the spot.
"I did."
"Wow. That's... but... before or after?"
"Before." Brett whispers. "I needed to. He needed to know..."
"I get it." Todd nods. "He did. You did good. God. I think it's beautiful. Jesus. So... now what? We're two... couples in this house?"
"Actually he hasn't told me what he wants, yet." Brett shrugs again, but with that same humour from earlier playing on his lips. "I've told him he can have me any way he wants. So I guess I have to wait and see if and how he does."

Eddy unfreezes suddenly, having been nothing but a spectator for the last minute or so. 
"Oh, I know what I want." he speaks up then, surprising himself again with how calm he sounds. Staring death in the face changes a man, apparently, because there are no tears anywhere to be found and something inside him shimmers a new song. He reaches and takes Brett's hand. His own hand twinges but who cares? It should be better soon. 
Everything will be even better soon. And he would have waited, with this, done this on their balcony but could it be any better than now that he's asked, now that their dear friend has cried over him?
"Bretty... will you be my boyfriend?" he says hoarsely, then watches closely as Brett stills and his eyes widen. He hears Todd's intake of breath but he's not watching Todd, his eyes are on his love, the shimmer of the same song pulling slowly over him until he glows.
"Wow..." Brett breathes incredulously as he hangs on to Eddy's hand for dear life and his face is suddenly very close. "For real? My... oh. Wow. Eddy. Yes. Please. I would love to be."
Soft, warm lips on his, a hot tongue, insistent. Oh, this kiss, almost like a first kiss all over again. Oh, God, he kisses so well, of course, but it's more than that. There's an urgency, a relief that he can taste on his sweet, sweet lips. He doesn't care at all that Todd can see them, he throws himself in to this kiss, this life affirming kiss. 
"Oh, Eddy..." Brett moans as he lets him go, holding his face in both his hands, another quick peck landing on his lips. "I can't believe this day."
"Me neither." Eddy whispers, then finally looks up at a very amused Todd, who has stepped away from them. 
"Why do I get the feeling it's our turn to need noise cancelling headphones tonight?" he quips. 
"Who said anything about waiting until tonight?" Brett shoots back, and Eddy laughs out loud. 
Freely.
So freely. 
Todd shakes his head and walks over to the kitchen. 
"Coffee, then? God knows I need some after witnessing that."
"Nothing we haven't seen you do, Todd." Brett grins. 
"Kissing, yeah. That you've seen me do." Todd replies meaningfully, leaning against the counter with the water cooker in his hand. "But anyway. Coffee?"
"Please." Eddy said as he holds Brett's hand a little tighter. "Coffee sounds just perfect right about now. Any sandwiches going too, maybe?"
Todd grins and starts opening cupboards. 
"Now you're speaking my love language. One sandwich coming right up."