Sneak Peek

[This is a snippet from the first chapter of Sadness & Cigarette Smoke. I'm not publishing it yet, BUT this is for all of you to enjoy while I put the rest of everything together.]

"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!" Jisung hollered, as his washer malfunctioned. Leaking water all over the floor and spraying him in the process. That's the third time in two months.

"Damn this worthless piece of shit." He kicked the washer after getting the water to stop flowing. He marched off to grab a towel from the bathroom to soak up the mess, water sloshing under his feet and soaking his soaks.

Macie, Jisung's tuxedo cat, followed him back to the laundry room trailing right under his feet. She meowed at her owner as she jumped up on the dryer to avoid the mini pond of water.

"I know, it's fucking ridiculous." Jisung talked back to her and sighed as he placed the know soaked towel in the dryer and turned it on, then peeled the disgusting wet soaks from his feet and tossed them in and empty basket.

Macie meowed again, this time bowing her head in his direction and flicked her ears at him. That's the one thing she taught herself to show Jisung's when she wanted pets.

He ran his fingers through the fluffly black fur on her back, and she arched her back up in a stretch against his scratches. Her tail twirling in happiness.

Jisung's frustration quickly faded as Macie rolled over onto her back for belly rubs. Jisung is the only person she'll accept belly rubs from. Though she's only met two other people, Felix and Jisung's neighbor Chan.

"Are you hungry, baby?" Jisung asked. Macie mewled at him and hopped down from the dryer. He smiled as he watched her walk right up to the cabinet where he keeps her food.

Her tail rubbing against the floor as she swayed it, patiently waiting for Jisung to crack open a can.

Jisung scrapped the food into her little bowl and sat it on the floor in front of her.

"I guess I have to go ask Chan to borrow his washer again huh?" Jisung asked his beloved cat only to receive no answer, she was busy stuffing her face. He laughed softly at her and grabbed his basket of clothes before walking out of his apartment and knocked on the door across from his.

Chan opened the door and glanced down at the basket of clothes. "It broke again?"

Jisung looked down, embarrassed.

"You really need to just get a new washer, man." Chan stepped aside holding the door open for him to step in.

"I know, I was saving for a car. I'll just use some of that to get a new one sometime this week." Jisung said as he made his way to his neighbors laundry room.

This was the main reason Chan and Jisung started their acquaintanceship, when Jisung's washer broke the first time.

"You wanna just chill here and watch YOU with me?" Chan shouted to Jisung, plopping down on his couch.

"Is that the show with the psycho who stalks girls he thinks he's in love with?"

"He's a sociopath, not a psycho. There's a difference. And yes, yes it is."

"I don't see the difference, but sure." Jisung walked back into the living room and sat in the corner of Chan's sectional. That was his spot anytime he was over.

As Chan unpaused the latest episode he was on, Jisung took in the scene.

The main-character-psycho guy, Joe, had some dude trapped in a cage in what looked like a storage unit. He didn't really pay much attention to the show, as he kept zoning out.

Chan, however, seemed really invested. His eyes never once moved from the screen. Jisung just wasn't that interested. He kept picking away at little loose strings on the couch, pretending to be paying attention.

"You know you don't have to watch. You have a phone." Chan laughed as he turned to look at Jisung who looked bored.

"I w-was watching." Jisung lied.

"You're eyes were glossed over, and if you were watching tell me what just happened?"

"I-"

Chan raised an eyebrow at Jisung, waiting to hear his answer before he finally admitted he wasn't paying attention.

"I knew it."

Jisung hated how easy it was for Chan to read him, then again he knew Chan could read anybody just as easy.

"Fine. I'll pay attention."

"You have a phone."

"Actually.. I left it in my apartment." Jisung pressed himself further into the corner of the couch, getting comfortable.

It didn't take more than 10 minutes into the episode for Jisung to become just as invested. Leaning forward on his elbows, engaging the tv as episode after episode played. Chan even waited to play the next one when Jisung had to get up and switch his clothes over to the dryer.

"It's a good show, isn't it?"

"Maybe, he's still psycho though." Jisung shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to admit his newfound interest.

"No he's not. He's sociopathic, he believes what he's doing is for all the right reasons. Not because he just feels like it."

"Still don't see the difference." Jisung sat back as Chan sighed. "Are you gonna play it?"

Jisung turned to look at Chan, who simply smiled at the younger before pressing play on the remote.

It was a good show, Jisung just wasn't willing to admit it.

——

That's all I will be giving you guys from the first chapter that will be published on February 1st along with three other chapters for you to enjoy!

Until then, please take care of yourselves and have a great weekend lovelies!