Epilogue.

~~~~

NOTE:Haha, the boys with short hair! Haha, I am dying! 🤩

NOTE:

Haha, the boys with short hair! Haha, I am dying!
 🤩

Art by: //kopako8026  on Instagram

Link:  https://www.instagram.com/kopako0826/

***

It was a warm spring night and all of Cloud Recesses was peaceful and quiet – well, all but one room. Bai Li was standing in her night clothes in front of the doors to the Jingshi,  listening to the moans and the laughter and the murmuring coming from inside; she was biting her lip, wondering whether to knock, or just leave it for the morning. 

No, it could not wait until morning.

- Masters!  – she knocked carefully at first, but then harder, louder. – Forgive me, Masters!

There was a sudden silence, then giggling and fumbling inside, and a very disheveled Wei Wuxian peeked out of the door, dressed in Hanguang-Jun robe in a hurry. 

She gasped again – she could not get used to his short hair for the life of her.

- Annoying young woman, - he growled. – this better be important! I was in the middle of something!

- Forgive me, Wei Qianbei, but it cannot wait. Please, come with me.

She hurriedly took his hand and dragged him to the big hall where several Elders were already waiting. Wei Ying was frowning, but as he entered the hall, he saw that one of the men was holding a baby in his arms. All of them bowed low, and then the group leader said:

- Master, forgive us for this disturbance. We were on patrol duty tonight, and we found this near the outer gates. She was asleep, and still is, Master, but we decided that it's urgent and dared not wait until dawn.

- What is it, darling?  -  Hanguang-Jun's voice thundered in the hall as he entered hurriedly, hair messy and a loose robe put on in a hurry.

Everybody bowed again, except the man holding the baby, of course.

- Whose child is this?  –  Lan Wangji frowned too.

- We don't know, Master. We just found her minutes ago. – the leader mumbled.

Wei Wuxian approached him, mesmerized, and gently took the baby from him. He opened the blanket covering the baby's face and it moved a little, sucking its lips in its sleep. He smiled and pressed it to his body; the unmistakable baby smell was intoxicating for him, but as he did so, a small piece of paper fell off the bundle.

- You may go. Thank you all, good work. - Hanguang-Jun grumbled. – Bai Li, stay.

Everybody bowed again and left to pick up patrols again. Bai Li smiled to herself and approached too. Lan Wangji reached down and took the note.

~~

Masters,

I know how you long for a child, and I know you will love my niece. Both her parents are dead, drowned in the river last week.

Please take good care of her. I can't. Her name is Yao Shi.

~~

- he read out loud.

- Is there a name, a signature? – Bai Li asked, reaching for the note to look at. – Hmm, I don't recognize this handwriting, but it might be a former servant here...

Wei Ying was too lost, staring, in love, at the baby's little face, and little hands, and he was kissing her cheeks and her little fingers, risking to wake her up, but unable to restrain himself.

- Lan Zhan, can we keep her... Husband, please... -  he was whispering, not looking away.