Two*night*mares.

When Miao Lu entered the hall for dinner, she was surprised at how warm it was inside. But this was nothing, compared to the sight in front of her. Her Masters were already there, waiting for her to join them. Master Wei was kneeling in front of Hanguang-Jun, and she could not see his face, as he was facing his husband. His arms were wrapped around Master Lan's shoulders and he was muttering lovingly:

- Hey, Hanguang-Jun...

A kiss on the cheek.

- Lan Wangji!

A kiss on the jaw.

- Lan Zhan... Ah, Lan Zhan...

A kiss on the neck.

- Husband... Mmmmmm...

A kiss on the collarbone.

- My love...

The young woman saw that Master Wei was ready to go even further down, as his hands here opening Hanguang-Jun's robes more and more. Her Master Lan was frowning at first, but then she saw his smile, and at the end he laughed, taking Wei Wuxian in his arms and kissing his mouth thirstily. She saw that her Master Wei was very flushed, his robes were also open at the chest, and he was also smiling. She then realized that was the first time she had ever heard her Master Lan laugh.

- Wei Ying, are we 17 again? Oh...

He finally took his eyes off his husband and looked at Miao Lu.

- Good evening, Mistress.

Wei Ying turned his head quickly, surprised.

- Flower girl! Come on, sit, sit! – he mumbled, sitting up and putting Lan Zhan's clothes back in order. Hanguang-Jun sat very still and let him, but both looked very flushed.

She obeyed, bowing a little.

- What are those rumors I hear lately? Hmmm? Bai Li tells us that you have a crush on me? – he grinned cheekily.

- Forgive me, Wei Qianbei, Li-jie should not have mentioned this... - she was looking down, not daring look her Master in the eyes. – It was not my place, I am sorry.

- You think my own housekeeper should not have told me things, here, in my own house? Why? – he tilted his head to the side, curious.

Lan Wangji's heart skipped a beat; he always loved it when Wei Ying would refer to Cloud Recesses as his home... For a long time he would just refer to it as his "old school". Now, as was his habit, he pulled him in, and placed his right arm around his waist. Wei Wuxian momentarily snuggled into him, feeling comfortable and warm. A few seconds passed before Hanguang-Jun gasped, remembering, and took his hand away, hastily, as if touching fire, going pale.

Miao Lu was looking down, blushing, and not answering, but Wei Ying didn't care. He turned towards Lan Zhan and took his hand carefully, placing it back on his waist. He then said very slowly:

- This is where I belong. Don't you dare leave me, husband.

She looked up, surprised at these words – they had a hidden meaning shared just between the two of them - to see a very flushed Hanguang-Jun who leaned in and the two kissed, slowly, embracing. She looked away, biting her lips, regretting ever coming here that night. In a few moments both were staring at her, and this time it was Lan Wangji who spoke:

- Mistress, tell us about your dreams. Do you remember when you had them?

Wei Wuxian raised an eyebrow at the polite address, moreover – coming from his husband, but said nothing. He relaxed into him, interested in how things would go on.

- Must I really, Master... Please... - the girl murmured, suddenly pale.

- LuLu, please, eat! And tell us all! You know very well that dreams mean nothing, right? – Wei Ying grinned. – Obviously, there is something Hanguang-Jun here is not telling me? Is it a pleasant surprise, darling? – he turned his face towards Lan Wangji, but Master Lan's face expressed nothing now. Still, his arm pulled him a little closer. Wei Ying bit his lip.

"He doesn't realize it, but he wants to protect me. His whole body adjusts to face danger... I am willing to bet a good coin that the news is not so good..." – he thought.

Miao Lu felt Hanguang-Jun's burning eyes on her – she knew she had no chance to disobey. She started her tale after a polite bow.

- I have dreamt two dreams, Masters. Both were very strange, and very scary. Bai Li says I am more emotional than I should be, as those dreams really upset me. Yes, Master Wei, I also do not believe in dreams... Real life is so very different from the Dream Realm... -  she sighed sadly.

- I dreamt the first one on the night of Wei Qianbei's birthday. I remember this, because I almost could not sleep at all that night... - she teared up, speaking weakly. – I dreamt of a dark forest. I was lying on the ground and it was night, but still I could see that all the trees were dyed crimson, as dark as blood. A rain of blood was falling from the skies, soaking everything in red. As I looked ahead, I saw a black sword was run through my chest, but I was not dead, nor dying. The trees were closing in, the rain fell faster, and I thought I heard voices, descending from the skies with the downpour.... – she spoke slowly now, her voice was shaking, and she looked very pale, and in a trance. – They wanted me to pull the sword out, but I somehow knew that if I did it – I would die immediately...

Wei Wuxian shivered and bit his lips again. He lifted his hand and his fingers interlaced with Lan Zhan's on his waist. He squeezed hard, but said nothing.

- I dreamt the second dream the night we travelled to the Lake House. I had just fallen asleep before Bai Li's voice woke me up, so the dream was very short.... I dreamt of a dark empty field at night, and there was a huge palace there in the middle. The building was burning, the fires were so many and so intense that the night looked like day... It was a battlefield and many people were fighting, screaming...dying... Then, suddenly I looked up, and I saw Death, rising over the rooftops... She was clad all in black robes, and had huge black wings, and blood-red eyes... and in Her hand there was a sturdy bamboo stalk... and as She waved it, everybody in the field was dead...

She had not noticed, but tears were running down her cheeks, and now, as she had finished, she brushed them away, and went on:

- This is all, Masters. Ever since then, I have very little appetite, but I seem to have almost all my senses sharpened... I notice very faint smells... And I hear sounds at night that I didn't used to... I feel different too... ever since we returned from the Lake House, I feel weaker.... I need more sleep, it seems... Perhaps it is the wintertime... I don't know. – she bowed and fell silent.

"The Nightmare" by Henry Fuseli (1781)