Bai Li.

Miao Lu and Bai Li were hurrying towards the Guest Room, to join the Masters for breakfast. It was late, but not as late as to serve lunch. The housekeeper was casting discontent sideways glances at the young woman, and finally could not bear it any longer, and spoke sharply:

- You should be careful with the Young Master, girl. He is kind, but this is all. Too kind, perhaps. I will hate to see him...harmed in any way. – she hissed.

Miao Lu blushed. She was right; she afforded herself too much freedom lately. Perhaps it was because of her Master Wei's attitude towards her; but she could not forget that she was nothing better than a servant in this household.

- You are right, Li-jie. I apologize.  –  she said shyly.

- Well, the Master will be leaving tomorrow. I hope you remember your place in the future. – she replied, more mildly now. – It is my job to keep things adrift here. And trust me – sometimes the Masters make it as hard as hell  to manage that!

Miao Lu nodded and dared not look her in the eyes.

- Now, behave! – the older woman grunted, and, opening the door to the hall, they entered.

Unlike previous times, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were sitting at different ends of the low table. Miao Lu wondered whether they had fallen out, perhaps – usually they would hug and kiss during meals. But a closer look showed her that they were both flushed and looked happy and content, and from time to time were exchanging hungry longing looks, as if they had been apart for years and were reunited just today, and craved to be together.

- Ah. Ladies. Come in, sit. – Wei Ying mumbled. – It is great of you to join us for breakfast. How is my son? Has he had breakfast already? We are...uhhh...sorry... for the delay.  –  he grinned, looking up at Lan Zhan, who was blushing deeper now.

- Masters. – Bai Li bowed. – Don't worry, all is taken care of, Wei Qianbei. Probably all the food is now cold, yes? – she raised an eyebrow, scoffing.

- Matters not. - Hanguang-Jun replied calmly. – Please eat.

Both women were confused, but – as there were two sets of chopsticks and tea prepared on the table – they started taking up small bits of food.

- How are you, Miao Lu? – Wei Wuxian asked directly, looking at her openly, and his face expressed such hope that the girl blushed with embarrassment.

- I am fine, Master. You shouldn't worry about me. – she answered and bowed.

- Ah, but we do. We both do, Flower girl. – he smiled and handed her a letter. – Please, read this.

She took the parchment with both hands, confused. It was Jiang Cheng's letter to her Masters. She read it quickly and her eyes filled up with tears. She rolled it up carefully again and placed it on the table, silent.

- You see, LuLu, my brother has a very... hmmm, stormy nature. He often speaks before he thinks. But his heart is in the right place. And despite what you saw the other day, none will be happier to hold a baby nephew in his arms than him. – Wei Ying stared at his husband while telling her all this, and Hanguang-Jun was looking at him with such gentleness and love in his eyes that both women really wanted to leave the room that very moment.

- I see, Master. It is alright. Unfortunately, I seem to have been...quite emotional lately. For which I apologize. - Miao Lu cast a quick look at Bai Li, who nodded her head wisely in approval, and then she bowed to all three of them.

- Wei Ying, come sit here. - Hanguang-Jun said, a little out of breath, patting on the seat next to him, but Wei Qianbei just smiled and shook his head. He now turned to the housekeeper:

- Annoying young woman, I asked you to stay today, because we have to discuss the situation with you too. – he frowned a little.

- Yes, Master Wei. – she bowed, pretending, just like Wei Wuxian, that Lan Wangji never spoke.

- Well, tell us. –  he encouraged her.

She was a little embarrassed to talk about this, but as it was her responsibility, she stood up and bowed again, reporting the last few days:

- Well, Wei Qianbei. Hanguang-Jun. I gave you the calendar that we prepared. I have observed Miao Lu carefully, and I tried to make sure she has been provided for. But the last week especially has been quite... hmmm, eventful, and the symptoms she is exhibiting might be just due to stress and excitement. Of course, she might be with child too.

Miao Lu was a little surprised by this report – she had not realized that she was being observed in any way.