Terms and conditions.

The next day turned out to be the strangest in Bai Li's life. As the Masters never came out of the bedroom, she decided to bring the breakfast to them; it was not the first time for this to happen. But as she heard the sentence "Lan Zhan, where will we find a virgin?!?!?", she blinked once, twice, and decided that perhaps her Masters were not hungry. Not yet. She dared not enter, on her life. Later, when both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were already onto their daily tasks, she told the servants that she herself would clean the master bedroom that day. Gossip was the last thing she wanted around the house.

She found chaos. The room was splattered with ink; the floor was strewn with broken brushes, and parchments with long and short lists, all torn in pieces. The bed was a huge mess – Bai Li smirked, knowing that at least last night was surely fun for her Masters. She cleaned up, but wondered what interesting times were ahead of them this time. People had been telling her that life in the Gusu Clan would be dull and strict before she started work here, but her experience was different. She was grateful for her job.

She was almost done when she noticed Wei Wuxian just coming in through the door, and slamming that same door shut behind his back. She knew instantly that he was furious. She bowed, knowing that in such situations it was best to speak first and distract him, and so she said:

- How can I be of service, Master?

Wei Ying huffed:

- Help me kill my husband, perhaps?

She bowed again, suppressing a smile. Nothing in this world could move or anger Wei Wuxian ever – only his husband. He didn't care enough for absolutely anything else. Or so she thought.

- Please, Wei Qianbei, let me get some tea ready, so we can talk. Should I inform Master Lan too? – she asked innocently.

- No!!! Go! – he growled, sitting heavily at the low table under the window.

**
Wei Ying was sipping on his tea, wondering whether the cunning young woman had slipped something inside, something to have a tranquillizing effect on his nerves. Bai Li was good with drugs. Thank the Gods. She was sitting opposite him, patiently waiting.

- So, annoying young woman, I need a piece of advice from you, as I have no idea where to start and whom to talk to. Lan Zhan wants impossible things from me again, and I ...uh.... – he mumbled.

She bowed; the nickname was something she grew to appreciate and ignore now. It was flattering, actually; she doubted Wei Wuxian knew the names of any of the other servants in the house. She knew with certainty that Lan Wangji didn't.

- Please, Master, start from the beginning. I will be only too glad to help.

Wei Ying sighed. There were very few people in the world that he would trust with this information, but he couldn't deal with it alone. And his housekeeper had proven herself to be extremely useful and loyal in the past.

- What I am to tell you cannot leave this room, do you understand? Only you, me and Lan Zhan know. And it should stay this way. For now.

She nodded seriously.

- We are planning to have a baby. – he beamed. Even just mentioning it made him excited and happy.

Bai Li was stunned once again at how quickly her Master's moods changed. Yet, the news was not a big surprise, not to her.

- Yes, Master. I was wondering when you were going to take this step. – he smiled, bowing her head a little.

- What?? You are not surprised? How come? – he frowned. – Perhaps you eavesdropped on us last night, hmmm? – he grinned, remembering all the sounds that must have come out of this same room last night.

- No, Master. – she smiled. – But it is not a big surprise, if you think about it. In the life of every married couple there always comes a time when they crave for children. It is human nature. And you and Hanguang-Jun seem happy and content together. – she bowed respectfully. – This really is the next step. The people who know you well should not be surprised.

- Ha! – Wei Ying glared at her. He was expecting a bigger shock and a more dramatic reaction and was now disappointed. – Anyway. I have the easy task to find a girl to do this with. And your Hanguang-Jun has a list of criteria that are humanly impossible, I believe. – he frowned.

- I see, Master. This is only natural. Hanguang-Jun loves you very much. I can only imagine that he feels this whole thing is some sort of...cheating. – she raised an eyebrow.

- Hmm, do you think? - Wei Ying was surprised to hear that, but tried to hide it. – Should I read the list, ugh, and you tell me where to find this girl, huh?

- Thank you for the trust, Master. – she bowed lightly again, earning another scoff. Wei Wuxian hated it when servants bowed to him too much.

- So. – he started reading from a very crumpled piece of parchment. – She should be willing, of course. She should not have any claims on the child later. She should be younger, but also strong. – here Wei Ying blushed, knowing too well how big and strong his husband was and what sex with him was like. – Hmmm, she should be willing to...uhh...lay...uh...with the both of us... and... uh... The last thing – she should be a virgin. Lan Zhan was adamant about this. – he mumbled. – Wanting the impossible.... I only want her to be pretty too! – he laughed bitterly. – Although, knowing your Hanguang-Jun – any child of his has no choice but to be beautiful... - he murmured dreamily.

Bai Li could not help but laugh briefly, and quickly covered her mouth when Wei Ying glared at her. She quickly bowed, perhaps to tease him this time:

- Forgive me, Wei Qianbei, but you never seem to realize that you are a very beautiful man too. – she blurted out, her face red and thankfully hidden, turned to the floor now. She only heard a snorting sound – this compliment counted only if it came from Lan Wangji, she knew this too well.

- So? Where do I search for this woman? – he mumbled, frowning.

- Well, none of the servant girls here are a match to this description. – she said thoughtfully. – They are either too young, or not virgins any more... Hmmm. Let me ask around, Master. Perhaps in the village, or the neighboring village... There might be a girl, willing to do it. Especially if you pay her. But a virgin...it will be hard, really hard, Wei Qianbei. – Bai Li said.

Wei Ying groaned. Then he looked up at her, desperate.

- Tell me all about it. And what about you, annoying young woman? – he grinned, leaning in towards her now. – You are not too ugly. Would you join us and bring us the greatest joy in our lives? – he winked.

Bai Li blushed violently and lowered her eyes; now, this surprised her. She collected all her will to answer calmly.

- Thank you for the compliment, Master. – she bowed again, Wei Ying moaned again. – But I do not cover all your criteria. I am sorry, Master.

He raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

- I see. It was a joke. And anyway, I could not have the house in chaos if you were to be in bed for 9 months anyway. – he scoffed.

- I will do my best, Master. Is that all? – she asked, standing up to leave now.

He nodded, wondering if he had said something out of line. As she was leaving the room she heard him call after her:

- Bai Li?

She turned and bowed again.

- Bai Li, forgive me. It was not my place. But there is no one else I trust more than you. – he said seriously this time.

She bowed again, but he noticed there was a shadow on her face.

- Please, bring some fresh tea to Hanguang-Jun, too? Yes?

- Of course, Master.