The Third.

Note:

Source for the picture above

https://the-demonic-paradise.fandom.com/wiki/Qilin 

***

After hours of heavy petting and constant kissing, finally Wei Wuxian fell asleep at sunset. Hanguang-Jun had loved how the rays of the sun were falling in the bedroom all day long, covering the bed and Wei Ying's skin with golden glow. He was tempted to go back to work, but his lover would always pull him back to himself, yearning for him, thirstily, reluctant to let him go, and he stayed.

Now he got dressed, after a final kiss, and went to the big hall for dinner. Wen Ning was waiting patiently, as well as a very flustered Bai Li. It was very hard for her to talk to Master Wen – he never wanted anything; it made her nervous and embarrassed.

- Good evening, Master! – she bowed and greeted him.

- Lan Gongzi!  -  Wen Ning exclaimed.  –  Where is Yiling Laozu?

Lan Wangji frowned.

- Bai Li. Brother. – he nodded. - Wei Ying is resting.

Both looked disappointed, for different reasons, and in different ways. Hanguang-Jun spoke again:

- Bai Li, please, serve dinner. Also, get Miao Lu to join us. I want a peaceful and quiet evening – if anyone wakes Wei Ying up  –  I will skin them alive. Take care of it.  –  he growled.

Bai Li bowed, and left hurriedly. The Master was in a bad mood.

- Hanguang-Jun, is something the matter? – the Ghost General asked.

- He is so weak, brother... so weak... Like a shadow of his old self... I can't wait to leave for Lotus Pier. – he said, frowning.

- I see. - Wen Ning said thoughtfully. – You must take care of Yiling Laozu. He often forgets to take care of himself.

- Hmmmm.

- The Young Mistress told me today that she had a dream last night. So I am guessing Wei Gongzi had a rough night too?

Lan Zhan said nothing, but stared at him for the longest time, and finally nodded.

- Lately, most nights are rough. For different reasons. – he mumbled. – He is restless, and reckless. He cannot sleep, and he cannot eat. I want to take him some place safe. I think bringing him back home will do him good.

Wen Ning nodded thoughtfully.

- I will stay. The Young Mistress cannot harm me. I can share resentful energy with her, if need be. I will keep the wards up too. – he said simply.

- Your help is highly appreciated, Wen Qionglin.  –  Lan Wangji said officially, bowing low, truly grateful. – You always bring calm to him. He loves seeing you, having you around. You know this.

The Ghost General smiled. He knew.

- I am happy to help. Always. – he bowed his head.

There was a soft knock on the door, and Miao Lu stumbled inside, together with the housekeeper.

- Good evening, Master Lan, Master Wen. – she bowed respectfully, looking around for her Master Wei, but he was nowhere to be found. She bit her lip and approached.

- Please, come in, Miao Lu. How are you? – Lan Wangji asked.

- I am fine, Master. The bright sunshine gave me a headache in the morning, but I am fine now. Hungry, actually. – she smiled faintly.

- Bai Li. - Hanguang-Jun said simply, and she only clapped her hands and the servants brought the dishes in. – Ah, Bai Li, please keep some warm soup and fresh tea for later, if your Master changes his mind. – he added, worried.

She bowed.

- Very well, Master. I will take care of it. Master Wen did some hunting today, so we have fresh game, I am planning to roast the meat for tomorrow's lunch – that smell should bring Wei Qianbei out of bed quickly. – she smiled.

- I pray to all Gods that you are right. Leave now. – Lan Zhan grumbled.

They sat and ate in silence. Miao Lu realized that, without Wei Qianbei, she wasn't too talkative, and her Master Lan and Master Wen could go on for days and weeks without saying a single word, fully comfortable in that silence. It was so amazing how Wei Wuxian changed things, brought life  to a room. She clearly remembered the housekeeper's words that without him, Hanguang-Jun would have been a very different man.

- I am glad your appetite is back, Young Mistress. – he said, pleased. – Wen Ning tells me that you had a third dream last night?

- Yes, Master. – she bowed, happy to see his frown go away. – It was...unsettling. Just as scary as the previous two, but somehow more awful too.

- Tell us. – Lan Zhan was sipping on his tea, squinting his eyes at her. She shuddered involuntarily.

- What about... Master Wei...? – she asked quietly.

- You can see him in a day or two. Tell us now, it might be important. – Wen Ning cast a quick glance at him, but Lan Wangji did not flinch. He meant it.

- I understand, Master. – she said simply, and, closing her eyes to remember better, she started:

- I remember that I was running in absolute darkness. It was very stuffy and hot. I was sweating so much that I felt drops of sweat crawl down my back and my legs even, but I had to keep on running. My belly was already very big, the baby would be born any moment now. –  she said dreamily, her hands on her belly.

- I knew that something was chasing me... it was not a feeling, I knew with certainty. It was still far behind me... but it was coming closer... I knew that it was coming for my child... Master Wei's child... So I ran... I had to protect him
...  -  she whimpered, remembering vividly now.

- I ran, sweating, but soon I noticed the faint smell of iron in the air, and I looked down, and there was blood running down my legs, not sweat any more. The baby was coming. I heard a deafening roar behind my back, and I thought that the thing that was chasing me was a monster. I was so tired...very tired... It was hot in the dark, and I could barely breathe...  -  she panted even now, remembering the sensation in the dream.

- I ran as fast as I could, but had no more strength left. I felt heat and very bright light coming from behind me, but dared not turn around – I knew that if I did, I would go blind. But a loud voice called "Lao-Tzu!", and I couldn't carry on. I was so afraid for my baby... -  tears were running down her cheeks now, and her voice was breaking.

She felt a cold hand on hers, and knew that somehow, noiselessly, her Master Wen had approached her and was now holding her hand. She lowered her head and went on:

- I fell to the ground and turned around, Masters. I saw very bright light and there was a creature there, and it looked all golden because of the golden light, but I saw it. Its body was like a dragon's, or a deer's, or a lion's... it had thousands of scales, but it might have been jewels... Its head was huge and it had antlers... Its mane was flowing upwards to the Heavens, and its eyes were like human eyes... I heard it come closer, I heard the sound of hooves, and its voice rang like the chime of thousand bells. It said: "Finally we meet, Lao-Tzu."

She fell silent, weak and pale. 

Wen Ning took his hand away from hers and murmured:

- The Qilin.