Morning.

Lan Zhan woke up with the first rays of the sun. The very first thing he did was to check his lover's pulse and temperature, and he sighed with relief – Wei Wuxian was just sleeping, and his fever was gone. He kissed his cheek swiftly and got up, careful not to wake him. He had to wash himself; he hated that last night he even had to approach his husband in such a pitiful state. As all the servants were away, and preparing a bath would take too long for him alone, he decided to go for a swim in the pond.

Most of the trees on his way were frost-kissed; the first snow was to be expected very soon. He sighed deeply, refreshed by the cold. The icy water helped him focus. He was washing the dirt away slowly and almost automatically, preoccupied with more important things. Once Wei Ying woke up, they had to talk through things that were painful, and he dreaded that conversation. He wondered to what extent it would upset his husband.

Then there was Miao Lu, and the baby. He really could not imagine how things would turn out if they had to repeat the torturous procedure with her too. The poor girl was doing her best, but things were deeper than she could imagine, it was a lot more complicated than just sex.

He also pondered sadly how Lan Sizhui was now two days late, three days even. He had to ride to the Lake House as soon as possible. But did he dare leave Wei Ying alone again? Or did he dare take him on horseback with him? He was so weak...so pale...

**

It was still very early in the morning when he returned to the bedroom; he dared not leave Wei Ying alone for too long, he was still very worried. He had been sleeping for almost three days now. Lan Zhan smiled for the first time in what felt like forever – his husband was sprawling on the bed, snoring lightly. He did not bother to put on any clothes – the warmth of Wei Ying's embrace was enough. He stirred a little when he felt him join him, and, half opening his eyes, he mumbled:

- I have missed you, Hanguang-Jun... Why is your hair wet, Lan Zhan... You will catch a cold... I have to dry your hair first... I have to...

Lan Wangji drew him closer and let him snuggle into him, as was his habit, enjoying his breath on his skin too much, and sighing happily. In a tight embrace, they both dozed off – everything else could wait.

He was woken a couple of hours later by the sensation of small bites on his hips and belly and thighs, and opening his eyes wide, he moved the cover of the bed away to find a grinning Wei Wuxian between his legs rubbing his cheek against his skin, all flushed and far too happy.

- Ah, Hanguang-Jun! So you came back to me last night... Ooooh, I see you are happy to see me too!  –  he placed a lavish kiss on the tip of Lan Zhan's now growing erection.

- Wei Ying!!!  –  he gasped.

- So, what? Was it too cold in the Guest Room, eh? But, Lan Zhan, why is it that you are the only one naked? – he pouted, confused. – What did we do last night?  Don't tell me we just slept! – he grinned naughtily. – Did I get too drunk... I don't really remember...

It took a split second for Lan Wangji to pull him into his arms and hold him tight, whispering like a madman:

- You are alright... Oh, thank the Gods! You are alright... You are with me...Finally... Finally... Oh, Wei Ying! I'm so happy!

Wei Wuxian was watching his husband sob and rock him in his arms, blinking, confused and also worried now. He mumbled in his neck:

- You have to explain to me, because right now I just worry, Lan Zhan. Where is A-Yuan? Bai Li should have kicked us out of bed hours ago! Did we die and go to Heaven??? – he sniggered.

At those words Lan Zhan let go of him and told him angrily:

- Don't ever say that!! Don't joke with that! Ever!

Wei Ying blinked, puzzled, and reached out to brush his tears away. He kissed his lips gently and said:

- Calm down, my heart. I am here. Tell me everything.

Amazed, he observed Hanguang-Jun push him away, then get out of bed and get dressed furiously, sulking, getting some clothes for the day for him too and throwing them in his face. Wei Ying got dressed quickly too, speechless, and let himself get dragged to the kitchen for breakfast, gaping at the empty house and the empty yard. It was surreal.

He was sitting on a chair at the kitchen table quietly, and patiently observed Lan Wangji make tea and dig out some food from god-knows-where.

- Eat. And drink the tea. If you don't – I am not going to say a single word!  –  he snapped at him as if he was a little child.

Wei Ying raised an eyebrow, but  – as he was actually quite hungry – he started eating obediently. 

Obviously, it had been bad. 

It had been years since he had last seen Hanguang-Jun in such a bad mood.