Teatime.

Lan Wangji barely slept that night. The room was too warm for him – the fire was booming, and he took most of his night garments off. He was watching his lover in his sleep; Wei Ying was sleeping messily and restlessly, always unconsciously seeking for him, for his body - to hold, to touch. He did his best to keep him warm as his hands were cold and his skin felt sticky to the touch as if he was coming down from a high fever. He held him, observing him all the time, making sure he is warm and safe, alert.

His brain was processing all the new information from the last days, contemplating on what he had also written to Lan Xichen. He had believed that Wei Wuxian had a bond with Miao Lu, but now it was obvious that the connection is rather with his child – the girl was just a conduit for that connection. 

It was a triangle, a tangle of emotions and sensations, and he was surprised that his jealousy of that new closeness was outdone by his concern for his husband. The last week or so had been illuminating for him, and he knew that their relationship had reached a new level of realization and intimacy. Wei Ying was changing, and he had to adjust. But a new child always brought about change, so in a way – he was expecting it. Welcoming it.

Wei Ying was whispering in his sleep again, and Lan Zhan was impatient for the dawn to come – that night was endless and painful. He had to listen to the feverish words and he knew that Wei Ying will wake up upset again, not rested enough again.

- Zewu-Jun, I have to tell him... I want to tell him...

- Who am I to you, Lan Zhan... I am so sorry, Hanguang-Jun...

Lan Wangji kissed his forehead, worried, heart-broken. He dared not wake him, it was still too early. He just held him tight and prayed that he could rest.

**

At break of dawn, Lan Zhan gave it up and finally got out of bed; Wei Ying had calmed down and sunk into a deep sleep. He tucked him warmly and got dressed, not forgetting to keep the fire going too. He was planning to do some mediation while it was still quiet, but ended up in the kitchen.

- Good morning, Master! – Bai Li bowed, surprised to see him so early.

- Bai Li, tea, please. – he said simply.

She obeyed, and was glad that he sat at the kitchen table with her – nobody was up yet, she was the first оne there.

- Is something the matter, Master? – she served the tea, looking at his expressionless face, still sensing something was worrying him.

- I wanted to talk to you without disruptions. I knew I would find you here, before everyone else was up.

- Of course, Hanguang-Jun. – she bowed again.

He waved, inviting her to sit too, and poured some tea for her too. She raised an eyebrow, but sat down, at full attention, knowing that he was going to tell her something important.

- Is your Mistress sleeping? – he asked quietly.

- I think so, yes, Master. – she nodded. – Last night I prepared a calming tea for her, she looked exhausted.

- Good. You did good. – he nodded, relaxing a little.

She was silent, expecting his words, so he went on:

- We need to take good care of her, and of Wei Qianbei, Bai Li. I have all reasons to believe that it is his baby she is carrying. – he said seriously.

- So you have no doubt about.... – she ventured, smiling happily. Both her Masters really wanted a child.

- I am almost certain that she is with child, yes. – he said thoughtfully. – I think you should know, as it is not something we can hide. Moreover, I expect complications very soon, so you should know how to react, Bai Li.

She frowned, but nodded, fully understanding. There were accidents in the past too when it came to her Masters.

- Listen to me carefully. Miao Lu's senses are sharpened because of that pregnancy. Which means that she probably can hear most of the things that are spoken in the master bedroom.

Bai Li nodded; she understood why her Master wanted to move the young woman's chambers that very day.

- You have to understand that not everything we say should reach her. For her own good. – he said sternly.

- Of course, Master. No doubt about it. – Bai Li bowed.

- Tell her that we move her chamber because we would like her to be closer to you. Which is not a lie. I will need someone to observe her constantly – without her knowing it. And I will need someone to take care of her when we leave for the Yunmeng Jiang Clan. We cannot afford to take her with us. – he grumbled. - She will be changing, Bai Li, just like your Master is changing. Have you noticed? – he looked at her carefully.

- Yes, Hanguang-Jun. The resentful energy... -  she whispered. – Also, Wei Qianbei has lost a lot of weight; he is barely eating, and is constantly cold... I am guessing he has trouble sleeping... If I didn't know better, I'd say he is the one with child. – she frowned.

Lan Zhan nodded, and added:

- And she, on the other hand, feels no cold, and feels fine. But her senses are more acute – and... - he paused, and his face expressed his concern now. – Bai Li, she is having dreams. Visions.

She stared at him now, confused and worried.

- So... the baby is affecting them both? – she ventured.

- This is why I need this letter delivered as soon as possible. I need my brother's opinion on this. – he reached in his sleeve and handed her the sealed parchment. – Do you understand?

She nodded, taking it in her hands – and stood up to wake up the servant who was to ride to Lotus Pier. He grabbed her arm.

- Bai Li, - he growled. – I want to make this very clear: in the end, no one and nothing is more important than your Master.  Do you understand? – he asked again.

She went pale, but nodded.

- Yes, Hanguang-Jun. I fully understand. –  she bowed and went out to run the errand.