Pale Sun.

- Please.. Please.... Hanguang-Jun, please... Lan Zhan, uh, Lan Zhan, please... Please...

Lan Wangji woke up to moans. He at first thought that Wei Ying was talking in his sleep, but when he sleepily checked up on him, he saw that he was wide awake, sprawling on the bed, taking shallow breaths, flushed and panting.

- Wei Ying... Are you alright? Why... Why aren't you sleeping... I...

- Please, Hanguang-Jun... - he whimpered pitifully. – Please... love me... want me... Tell me that you want me... Please, husband... love me... make love to me... I am begging you, Lan Zhan...

He gasped, unable to speak, unable to breathe. Lan Wangji got on top of him, and, closing his eyes, kissed his mouth passionately, urgently, deeply. Wei Ying moaned loudly, needing more. 

He cried out when his husband left him and went to lock the door, but then he smiled, as he saw him coming back to bed, removing hastily any and all remaining clothes from his body.

- Come to me, come to me... I am waiting for you... I have been waiting for so long.... Do you want me, Lan Zhan... I want you to want me... - he whispered.

- I want you, husband... I want you now...

**

Miao Lu was sitting next to the window, watching Bai Li and several servant girls try the master bedroom door a couple of times for the last couple of hours, but it inevitably stayed locked. She smiled. She knew that today her Masters wouldn't let anyone in. Her room was more remote now, and he couldn't hear them, but she had a very clear idea what was happening inside.

Sue Lin came to bring her breakfast, and she asked her to stay, as she had a splitting headache that morning and felt a little dizzy. Last night she had a horrifying and very vivid dream – not a dream, a nightmare – and she felt exhausted today.

After yesterday's reprimand, Sue Lin dared not look her Mistress in the eyes – she waited a little away from her to take care of any orders or requests she might have. Miao Lu had great appetite in the last couple of days – to Wei Wuxian's great pleasure – and she now ate, appreciating the delicious meal.

- Walk with me, Sue Lin. Today the weather is mild, let's go out for a walk. – she said after breakfast.

The servant bowed and helped her get dressed. Miao Lu got out of the room with pleasure. It had been way too cold lately, and she barely had the chance for some fresh air. But today was a fine day, and she stood on the porch, breathing in the chilly air, content.

She had closed her eyes, enjoying the sun, when she suddenly heard the servant girl murmur quietly:

- Good morning, Master.

Miao Lu opened her eyes, surprised, expecting Master Lan or Master Wei, but it was neither.

- Good morning, Master Wen! – she bowed lightly too and smiled at him.

- May I join you, Young Mistress? – he asked politely.

- I see no reason why not, Master. – she made a deeper bow, and signaled to Sue Lin to follow, which she did, at a respectful distance behind them.

For a while they walked in silence, but she didn't mind; Master Wen was not a man of many words, just like Hanguang-Jun.

- How are you feeling, generally, Mistress? – he finally asked.

- I am fine, Master. My head hurts a little, but it will pass. I have great appetite, and the baby seem to take after Master Wei's taste for meat too much! – she laughed.

He nodded, thoughtfully.

- Yes, he mentioned that. Interesting. – he said softly.

- Master, I really appreciate you staying with us. I will feel so much better, knowing you are here. – she said, placing her hand on her belly.

- I am happy to be able to help Yiling Laozu. – he said simply. 

Then he added:

- Aren't you... afraid? To stay with me?

She blushed and bowed again.

- Why would I be, Master? If Wei Qianbei and Hanguang-Jun trust you – why shouldn't I? – she cast a glare at Sue Lin who was as pale as a sheet, but still followed them, to the garden now.

- Most people are. – he said sadly. – Afraid. Why aren't you? – he tilted his head and strands of his long black hair fell to the front.

She thought that he looked like a beautiful young man. He was too pale and his eyes were too dark, and she knew he would never feel warm again, and would never be hungry again, but he looked almost sweet.

- Master, I know the stories, but I also saw how the Young Master Lan treats you. I don't know you very well, but I know him. He loves you, Master, and so does Wei Qianbei.  He loves you dearly. Hanguang-Jun calls you his brother, and this means a great deal. This is enough for me. – she smiled and took his hand in hers. It was cold but she didn't mind.

Wen Ning smiled, and it was a warm smile this time.

- A-Yuan is like a son to me, indeed. Yiling Laozu likes to call me "A-Ning", although I am older than him. And Hanguang-Jun... - he fell silent, thinking.

- Yes, Master. They all love you very much.  

She bowed, and added:  

-  We all do.

Sue Lin bowed respectfully too, biting her lips.

- We have been through a lot, your Masters and I. We went through war and a lot of death... I believe you know that I was there with them... almost all the time... when the Qishan Wen Clan got wiped out... And my sister...

He looked away.

Miao Lu walked on slowly, sitting on a bench in the garden. He remained standing, thoughtful, silent.

- The Masters will probably keep to their room today, so it will be just the two of us. Will you keep me company, Master? – she asked, blushing a little.

- I must check the wards Yiling Laozu has placed. I thought of going hunting later perhaps. But if you need me – I will stay. – he bowed his head a little.

She was amazed at how polite his manner was, and how gentle his speech was. She had expected a fierce warrior, the monster from people's gossip. He was neither, at least not here, not now.

- Of course. You should do as you have planned, Master. - she blushed. – These are more important.

He looked at her again, wondering what to do.

- Did you need something, Mistress? – he asked politely, hesitating.

- Master, I had a very scary dream last night, and really wanted to ask about it... But maybe it can wait so I can tell it to Wei Qianbei and Hanguang-Jun too, maybe at dinner? – she hesitated. – I don't know if it is important...

- Hmmm. – he cast a quick glance at her.

- Master Wen, please. It can wait. Thank you for keeping me company. – she smiled at him and stood up, bowing again.

He bowed his head to her and was gone. Sue Lin approached her.

- Mistress, I was wrong. Please, forgive me.  –  she said quietly, bowing too.

- I am not the one to forgive you. Ask your Master for his forgiveness, Sue Lin.

The servant bowed lower, growing pale again.