The Core.

The two couples spent the afternoon in their respective rooms. 

Jiang Cheng didn't care that envoys from the different Clans were starting to arrive, bringing gifts to the Chief Cultivator for his birthday. He only gave instructions for a celebratory dinner for his family, and left his housekeeper to his resources to accommodate them, bewildered.

Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng spent most of the time in bed, lightly dressed, assuring each other of their feelings, or just enjoying the lovely view in front of their eyes. Jiang Wanyin had let his hair down, knowing how much his lover enjoyed playing with it; he himself really enjoyed the touch of his fingers – those fine, long, musician's fingers that often claimed every part of his body... almost every part. 

He was very flushed, realizing things could not be delayed any more, but nevertheless afraid. Wei Wuxian's words were echoing in his mind, the warning that he would lose him forever, and this thought terrified him. 

He murmured:

- Promise me you won't leave me, Huan... Promise me to stay... No one will ever love you more...

Lan Xichen was caressing his hair, wrapping him in his embrace, letting him feel warm and loved. He smiled:

- Sounds lovely, darling. I really want to. Stay.

They were kissing, caressing each other through the clothes, teasing, breathless. Until the evening came and they entered the Great Hall together, flushed and holding hands.

**

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian spent most of the afternoon walking naked around their room. They had agreed that this would be one of Hanguang-Jun's presents, the sex being the other, of course. Wei Ying had giggled and agreed too easily – he really didn't miss the constant sensation of being too cold all the time. 

They took a bath together, and Lan Zhan's heart was melting, seeing his loved one feeling alright again, happy and free. He knew that Wei Ying would never feel this happy and free at Cloud Recesses, no matter how hard he tried to make it feel like a home to him. Perhaps it was the memory of his uncle, of their past, of all the suffering and punishments both of them had to endure there. 

But here, at Lotus Pier, he was a different person, he was fully himself. And Hanguang-Jun wanted to savor every second of it. He was watching his every move, thirstily, longingly, so deeply in love that his heart was hurting.

Wei Wuxian felt it all too distinctly. Not only because of his core, but also because his senses were sharpened, almost supernaturally so. 

He had expected this to pass, as he was nowhere near his son any more, but it had stayed, and his senses were almost inevitably focused on his beloved, paying attention to his heartbeat, his breathing, the noises his clothes made when he would envelop him in his embrace. It was amazing, especially during their lovemaking, as it almost felt like he was inside Hanguang-Jun's body, almost feeling what he was feeling. He was getting lost in it, and when Lan Zhan called his name and he could not answer, mesmerized, then he would only murmur that he loved him too much, and it was true too.

They entered the Great Hall together, too pleased to see their brothers sitting very close together again, looking at each other with great tenderness, their faces burning. Lan Wangji was sitting majestically at the head of the table, receiving boring gifts from the Clans, but his hands were inevitably on Wei Wuxian's body, and tonight he was slightly breathless because of this proximity for some reason. He felt dizzy and totally forgot to eat, so a slightly worried Wei Ying would ask him from time to time how he felt, and would feed him bits and pieces of the festive dinner in his honor.

***  

Wen Ning arrived shortly after the dinner had already started, to the greatest pleasure of Wei Wuxian.

- Many happy returns of the day, Hanguang-Jun. – his voice thundered in the quiet room, as he stood in its middle, bowing respectfully. Lan Wangji stood up and went up to him to hug him.

- Thank you, Brother. It is so nice to have you with us again. – he said tenderly.

- My turn! A-Ning!!!

As soon as Lan Zhan stepped away from the hug, there came another, as Wei Wuxian was now clinging to the taller man, grinning and giggling happily, hanging around his neck.

- Have you missed me, Wen Ning? Were you comfortable in town? Did anyone give you a hard time? I will fry them in soy sauce! Tell me! – he was babbling happily, staring into the Ghost General's face, cupping his cheek.

Jiang Cheng was bothered by all this affection; Wen Ning was the only one Lan Wangji greeted so warmly that day. He took a quick glance at Lan Xichen's face when Lan Zhan called Wen Ning "brother";  it wasn't the first time, but it was the first time he actually noticed it in a personal way. Lan Huan was only smiling, nodding slightly, happy to see his brother happy.