Stretch.

Nothing changed over the next couple of days, but Wei Ying was in a bad mood. Lan Zhan missed him, as his mood was always reflected in the bedroom too, and he had absolutely no desire for any kinds of games after dark. He would just toss and turn, and sulk.

And then, something happened. That day, Bai Li, their housekeeper, was supposed to go to the village and replenish the supply of herbs and medicines, as winter was approaching, but she fell ill all of a sudden – so it was decided that the two Masters would go and shop for supplies. Lan Zhan offered to go all by himself, but Wei Ying preferred to join him and "stretch his legs" a little.

- Also, I had been planning to buy something ...personal. Also, new brushes and better parchment – last time Bai Li messed this errand up. – he frowned.

- Personal? – Lan Zhan raised an eyebrow, but only got a naughty grin in return.

It was a perfect day so they decided against riding, and rather walked the couple of miles down the hill. Lan Wangji was smiling to himself, observing his husband now hopping like a rabbit with all the freedom the fields around them provided; he also knew that he would be having a very unhappy and complaining Wei Ying on their way back – as they would have to climb uphill, carrying some baggage too. But this was nothing. Finally, there was some color in his cheeks and he was telling him some silly story cheerfully. It was a good idea to get out of the house, and "stretch their legs". Still, he wondered what the "personal" thing was; Wei Ying had no secrets from him. Unless he meant something for... Lan Zhan blushed. He had to be patient; he'd know soon enough. His imagination ran wild and he blushed deeper.

**
As always, whenever it was a market day, there were far too many people in the streets – at least too many for Lan Wangji's taste. He was frowning slightly, but his husband was having a whale of a time. Wei Ying was dragging him from booth to booth, through many pavilions, showing him herbs and flowers, and toys and sweets. His usual answer was that they had the exact same things at home, he simply could not see the fascination of crowds and noise. But Wei Ying was different – everything looked better here. Lan Zhan bit his lip. His loved one was right – he realized that Wei Ying had been feeling like a prisoner at Cloud Recesses, but he had no idea how to fix this. And then suddenly a strong case of déjà vu flooded his senses.

A group of three young children approached Wei Ying, begging him for some money, or some cheap candy, seeing that he was spending too much time around their favorite booths too, and with the Gusu Clan robes, Wei Ying looked like a nobleman. And he was.

Lan Zhan's mind went back years ago when this same scene was playing out, but only with A-Yuan instead. He felt as if he was watching events from the past, in the past, and only Wei Ying had moved on, changed, while he was stuck there alone, as if the two separate scenes were happening simultaneously, for him and his husband, overlapping in time, colors, sounds and smells.

Lan Zhan's heart sank. Now he was watching the brilliant smile on Wei Ying's face, his laughter, the way he played with those strangers' kids, as if they were his own, falling to his knees, neverminding the white robe, to hug them and give them simple treats. He knew what this was. Wei Wuxian was truly happy in that moment. He turned his back and walked away, turning into an empty narrow street – he needed to catch his breath. He knew what he had to do, but it broke his heart.

He pretended he didn't notice the way Wei Ying secretly snuck out and entered an apothecary – obviously, he didn't want him to know about it. As if he could hide anything from him... He decided to buy some flowers, giving the girl too much money for the bunch and wincing when she never stopped bowing to him, thanking him profusely. Suddenly, there was a tap on his shoulder:

- I'm back! Lan Zhan! Are those for me?! – Wei Ying exclaimed, burying his face the fresh flowers. – Ah, they are lovely, Young Miss! – he turned his beaming face to the bewildered girl. She had never seen a man being so happy about...well, flowers. She blushed deeply at the sight of this beautiful young man, enjoying her flowers so much.

- You seem to be in a good mood. – Lan Zhan noticed.

- Yes! – Wei Ying was hugging the flowers, all smiles. – Today is a great day, Lan Zhan! Let's eat!

He turned on his heel, looking for an inn, and rushed to the nearest one without thinking. Lan Zhan followed slowly, making his way through the crowd of merchants who were trying to persuade him to buy whatever. Thankfully, Wei Ying had chosen a spot to the far end of the inn, and after ordering food and drinks, he said simply:

- We have to talk.

Wei Ying raised his eyebrows.

- What is it now? Why are you suddenly so serious? Ah, Lan Zhan, I know you hate to be in crowded places, but today was not too bad! – he pouted. But as his husband was frowning a little, he mumbled:

- Did I do something wrong again? Are you mad at me, Lan Zhan?

Lan Wangji shook his head. He waited for the tea to arrive silently, he wanted to put his thoughts in order. Wei Wuxian was staring at him, wondering. During their time together, he had learned to give his beloved some time to think things through. If he started talking before Lan Zhan was ready – he would just be silent until ready, so the whole thing would be pointless anyway.

They were now sipping on tea and wine, taking bites, sullen. Wei Ying was wondering whether he could still salvage that perfect day, or Lan Zhan had some bad news.