Rift.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were very late for breakfast the next morning – Sandu Shengshou's housekeeper had given up on organizing the Masters' meals, it was a mess, as none of the four really cared about observing the meal times strictly as was the habit. 

They were very surprised to find out that neither Jiang Cheng  nor Lan Xichen were up yet.

- Alright now! – Wei Ying grinned, sitting down next to his husband. – I must give it to my brother, I am actually impressed! Never thought that Zewu-Jun had it in him either! – he laughed, making Lan Wangji blush deeply. He was gently caressing his hair and neck – the bruises on Wei Wuxian's neck were a deep shade of purple.

When Jiang Wanyin and Zewu-Jun finally joined them, it was rather lunchtime than time for early breakfast, so the meals were a mess, as Jiang Wanyin's housekeeper brought wine and lunch to the tables too, frowning and huffing. Sandu Shengshou cast a glare, but did not comment; Lan Xichen's hand was on his waist, and his touch was constantly sending a pleasant thrill all along his body – he remembered their time in bed.

- What happened to your neck, Brother? – he mocked, seeing the bruises. - Hanguang-Jun? Why do you two look like you've fought an army of the undead last night?

Lan Wangji's lips were bitten mercilessly, and he also bore red marks on his jaw where Wei Ying had bitten, but he shook his head and said simply:

- Unimportant. Let's discuss the important matters.

Still, he leaned in and kissed his husband's lips gently, and Wei Wuxian almost heard his thoughts in his own head – "I love you. I am here. You are safe." He kissed back and smiled faintly.

- I agree, darling. – Lan Huan said, smiling, and taking Jiang Cheng's hand to hold, placing it in his lap comfortably. A shiver ran through Jiang Cheng's body as he did that, and Lan Huan felt it very clearly. He turned to him, and his lips brushed against his ear, making him blush furiously. His eyes were glazed as he whispered lovingly:

- Huan...

They were staring at each other, lost, really wishing they were alone again, until Wei Wuxian exclaimed, teasing:

- Lan Zhan! Those two are more in love than you and me! I wish you looked at me the way Zewu-Jun is looking at my brother!

He immediately felt the grip on his waist tighten, and, remembering the grip on his throat from last night, he bit his lip – perhaps he overdid it. 

Hanguang-Jun did not say anything, but frowned terribly.

Lan Xichen had blushed, and Jiang Cheng was on the verge of screaming hysterically, so he decided this was a good moment to start his account of the last days:

- Wei Qianbei, you flatter me. – he laughed a little and bowed to Wei Ying, who was grinning, a little breathless, though. – I am glad to report that both Master Wen and the Young Mistress are alright. 

I talked to your housekeeper extensively; Bai Li is telling me that the Mistress tends to sleep more now that Wei Qianbei is not there. She was worried about it, but I think it is logical. Her energy levels are lower, and I am not sure a fusion of resentful energy would be necessary at this point. But she did look lethargic... Hmmm. I am a little afraid to offer suggestions as an infant is concerned here. But I talked to Master Wen too, and I firmly believe that such a fusion should only be done if her health fails more seriously. He tends to agree with me.

Lan Xichen looked thoughtful, and also worried. The situation was really complicated as there was no compromise to be made – the baby needed his father, and Wei Wuxian needed a break in order to be healthy.

- Bai Li mentioned that the Mistress is lacking appetite too, so I am guessing that her body is just slowing down. But if she really is entering her 5th month – it is an important moment in gestation, and it is best if Master Wei is there too. Just in case.

- I am sorry I cannot be any further help. – he frowned a little. – But I am not sure her coming here is a good idea, at least – her being here without Master Wei. I don't think we could afford her body slowing down again in, let's say, the 8th month. A change in climate will be great, especially if she feels good enough to travel the distance. But I am afraid Wei Qianbei would need to be with her too. – he said sadly.

- I understand. - Hanguang-Jun mumbled. – We will be leaving after New Year's.

Wei Wuxian bit his lip, but nodded.

- That was the plan all along. We are expecting A-Yuan soon, but after that – we will be going back. You are probably sick of us anyway! – he grinned broadly again. – Ahhh, A-Cheng! Don't look at me like that! I know you want to be alone with Zewu-Jun here! – he mumbled, shaking his head.

- Wei Wuxian!!! - Jiang Cheng yelled, jumping in his seat.

- Wanyin... - Lan Xichen gently pulled him down to sit back down again, and he did it, but there was a low growl in his throat still. Lan Huan was blushing deeply, as it sent electricity though his body too.

- Why are you so worried for Lan Sizhui, Brother? – he asked after his wild kitten calmed down.

- His letter was vaguely mentioning some problems in the Palace. Obviously, he could not say too much in it, so he insisted we speak in person. I hope the snow does not slow him down. – Lan Wangji said seriously.

- It would be great if he could be with us for New Year's, my love. – Wei Ying looked up at him, but Lan Zhan ignored him. He bit his lip, wondering what upset him this time.

- The servants are too excited about the preparations, too. - Jiang Cheng mumbled unhappily, he hated all the noise and fuss. – Now that all the Masters will be here. Well, almost all. Jin Ling is going nowhere any time soon! – he grinned maliciously.

Wei Ying's heart warmed up. It had been so good to hold his nephew's son in his arms. He had never really understood how much he craved for a child until he held him for real. Suddenly, he felt the need to go back to Gusu, to be closer to his own son.

They parted, agreeing to meet later for an early dinner. Lan Wangji had approached Jiang Wanyin, asking to peruse the Clan's Library, and he agreed. Wei Wuxian was watching, amazed, his husband walk away without saying a single word, and then spend the rest of the day in the Library. 

He pouted – he had no idea what was wrong – perhaps he was just worried about it all. But then, last night had been extremely emotional too... 

Was it something he did? Something he said?

He was roaming the grounds aimlessly, spending some time watching the new disciples train, walking along the pier, then going back, passing by the master bedroom – where he overheard moans and love cries – and it didn't make him smile, he rather sulked even more. 

Finally, he went back to their room, realizing that without Hanguang-Jun, none of it all made any sense. He ordered a bath prepared for him, and soaked in it for hours, raking his brains for the reason of it all. He sulked even more - Hanguang-Jun had the awful habit to get upset or angry about the strangest things. Last night was proof. 

He sighed – he was no different, either. Both knew each other too well.

He went to the Library, but Lan Wangji was not there. A servant told him that he was meditating in one of the more remote gardens. Wei Wuxian trudged there miserably, knowing very well that the conversation to follow would be unsettling.

- Lan Zhan! – he waved when he spotted him, but Hanguang-Jun did not move. He was sitting, very still and tense, and his eyes were closed; he looked so far away that Wei Ying wanted to cry – he missed him.

- Hey... Lan Zhan...? – he approached and shook him a little, risking a glare.

- Is something the matter? – he asked coldly, still not opening his eyes and trying to concentrate again.

- Ummm... Not sure. Is it? – Wei Wuxian mumbled.

- We can talk about it after dinner. I need to focus, Wei Ying. – he snapped.

- At least tell me what this is all about? – he growled.

- I don't have time for this. - Hanguang-Jun said, closing his eyes again, and falling into meditation.

Wei Wuxian knew well that there was no point trying to talk to him any more. He pouted again and went back. Passing by the pier, he decided to sit for a while, at least until the sun set, and play a little. 

He missed playing Chen Qing, but he pulled out Chóng Shēng  instead – he was missing Lan Sizhui, and his birthday gift reminded him of a better day than today was. The melody spoke of melancholy, and missing, and a parting, and he had to stop, as his eyes filled up with tears. 

The day was chilly, and the wind coming from the lake was cutting through his clothes, making him shiver slightly. He had never thought he would feel so lonely at home.