Jin Ling/Lanling Jin Clan

Fall returned on the next day, as if it had specially waited up till Wei Ying's birthday was over. Today, Jin Ling and Lan Xichen were to arrive too; all guests were supposed to stay for as many days as they could. Of course, Lan Sizhui was the one to stay the longest, but Wei Ying wanted to enjoy the company of all his family as much as possible – they gathered together far too seldom. His long life taught him that nothing was more precious than his family. And family did not end with blood. Family was those who loved you, unconditionally, and stood by you.

Heavy rain was pouring down all day long, so all of them spent time together indoors, chatting and sipping on wine, the only exception being Hanguang-Jun. Miao Lu wondered if there was a story behind it, and whether one day perhaps she would get to know it. Everybody was casting curious glances at her and trying to bribe Lan Sizhui into spilling the beans, but he was grinning and telling them that if he disclosed the news before the birthday boy,  he would be thrown down a waterfall, probably tied up, and most probably naked.

Bai Li had the strictest instructions, as soon as Jin Ling and his wife arrived, to bring them in safely indoors, and without a single drop of rain. Wei Wuxian was adamant that all precautions were taken regarding the future mother. She had taken a bow, and started scheming how to accomplish this, during the Rain Season what is more. Lan Xichen was the last one to arrive in the evening, as he was coming from a far-away journey he had taken, quite mysteriously, and even Lan Wangji did not know details about it. He had only confirmed in a letter that he would attend the celebrations, but this was all.

The servants were already lighting up candles - daylight was scarce enough that day anyway, when yells and fuss and noise coming from the yard informed everybody that the guests had arrived. Wei Wuxian jumped to his feet, impatient, and excited. All the gifts he received this year were special, but he was particularly proud of his nephew.

Bai Li, dripping wet, appeared at the entrance of the Guest Room, and announced:

- Jin Ling, Head of the Lanling Jin Clan, Masters. And his lovely wife. – she smirked, happy that she had managed to get the guests safe inside.

Both entered, quite solemnly, and bowed to Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. Jin Ling spoke slowly, and Wei Ying saw his father in him for just a moment there:

- Happy birthday, Wei Qianbei. We wish you long days of happiness and light. May you, and yours, prosper and flourish for always.

Wei Ying giggled at those words, and approached them swiftly, ignoring all forms of decorum and table manners again, and earning a frown from his husband and his brother at the same time.

To Miao Lu's horror, he patted Jin Ling on the head, and said:

- A- Ling! Welcome!!! I got your present and I really liked it – especially the last part!!

He them hugged him tight, and to Jin Ling's embarrassment, he muttered in his ear through tears:

- My answer is "yes". I will be proud and happy to. How could I say "no", ever... A baby! Jin Ling, congratulations!!!

He let him go of the strong embrace just as abruptly as he had hugged him a moment ago, leaving him quite speechless, and now, to everyone's terror, he was kneeling at the feet of the young woman by his side, who blushed severely, watching him look up at her, and saying through tears:

- Young Mistress, be well! You bring light and hope to the world! May the Gods bless and aid you, always!

He looked at her belly, already clearly visible, and mumbled:

- May I... Please? Please?

She got a grip somehow, and nodded, smiling gently, understanding very well what he wished for. He sighed deeply and the next second his face was glued to her belly, and he was listening, feeling, hoping for a kick, or any sign from the baby inside. Lan Zhan was not surprised, but blushed nevertheless. A-Yuan was flushed and happy, already picturing the next year of his dads' lives – it would probably be this way all the time. And Miao Lu...she simply craved  to be in the place of that young gentle girl at that very moment.

Wei Ying's wish was granted soon enough and he got quite a strong kick in the teeth. He laughed out loud, and before the young woman could apologize, he exclaimed:

- None of you can beat that birthday present! Thank you, Young Mistress! Thank you! – he got up again, and hugged her gently. She and Jin Ling exchanged a quick astonished glance, and finally he collected himself enough to mumble:

- Uncle, you are so strange, and still insufferable, as always! I am not sure how Hanguang-Jun puts up with you at all!

These words got a scoff from Jiang Cheng too, and he grumbled:

- I see now why there aren't any other guests but us! We know your quirks too well, Wei Wuxian! Outrageous!  Nephew, you could come and say "hello" to me too, maybe? – he glared at him spitting the words out slowly and clearly.

Jin Ling shuddered and rushed inside and bowed deeply to his uncle:

- Apologies, Sandu Shengshou! We were a little...overwhelmed. Forgive me!

Jiang Cheng grunted and bowed back, but said sternly:

- Come sit next to me. You haven't visited in all eternity, and I need you to tell me everything.

Jin Ling knew that this was his punishment, and bit his lip, but tried to smile. He would have preferred a place next to Lan Sizhui, but he was too engulfed in conversations with Wen Ning anyway, and his dads were sitting next to him, so that plan was doomed to fail.

- Gladly, Uncle. I will be honored. – he bowed.

Wei Wuxian smiled, content. The foolish boy had grown indeed to be an excellent young man.