The Frost Room.

Link:  https://twitter.com/U____Zee/status/1430410075718389763

***

Miao Lu was waiting. The room was very simple, ascetic, but somehow had a different feel from any of the other rooms she had been to since her arrival here. The master bedroom really reflected the character of her Masters – it was like the sky was meeting the earth in a clash, as the room was all contrasts – the white and pale blue of the Gusu Clan, and the earthly, darker, warmer colors of her Master Wei's clothes.

This room was all pale blue, and grey, and even paler green. Sue Lin whispered to her – as if it was the biggest secret – that this used to be Zewu-Jun's room before. Miao Lu had only seen him once, at her Master's birthday, but sometimes thought about him. He seemed very similar, but also very, very different from his brother – perhaps their rooms reflected that the best. The Jingshi  and the Hanshi  were unmistakably Gusu Lan Clan style rooms, but also had nothing in common.

The Jingshi  only contained functional things, it was very practical, very comfortable, and it easily accommodated their Masters on the days when they would not need to ever come out of it. And both Wei Qianbei and Hanguang-Jun felt extremely comfortable there.

On the other hand, the Hanshi  was simple, clean somehow. The sense of purity, and pristineness was dominant. It was also beautiful, ethereal, almost like a young, romantic Princess's room. Miao Lu was truly sorry that the day was murky – she would have loved to see this room bathing in sunshine. It had a glow of its own even now. The name – The Frost Room – was extremely suitable. She wondered if it also reflected Zewu-Jun's character. He never made the impression of being cold, like Hanguang-Jun always did, but he looked distant. The pale mask of a gentle smile never seemed to reach his heart.

The servants opened the doors for Hanguang-Jun, and she bowed even before taking a more careful look at him. But when she did, she could not help but grow pale. Her Master Lan looked like he was coming back from war – his neck was bruised, his lips looked cut. Her Master Wei looked very pale, but his sides were burning, as if he was running high fever; his eyes looked sore and red, and puffy, as if he had spent days crying. He was being carried in his husband's arms, clinging to Hanguang-Jun for dear life, not letting him go.

Lan Zhan relaxed next to the low table in the corner, holding his husband very tight in his embrace. His face expressed nothing, but Wei Ying moaned when they sat down, knowing very well the pain his loved one was in right at that moment. He hid his face in his clothes, sobbing.

Tears filled Miao Lu's eyes. Something had happened, and it wasn't good. Suddenly, she fully realized how Bai Li was feeling daily – worried sick for her Masters.

She waited.

- My love... My only love... Please, Wei Ying, please, calm down... - Lan Wangji was murmuring, caressing his loved one gently.

- I love you... I love you... I love you... Lan Zhan, I love you...  -  was all he could say, whispering, trembling.

Hanguang-Jun sighed deeply and turned to her:

- I hope you are well, Mistress. We won't keep you long. Could you please tell your dream again – this time for your Master? – he tilted his head, staring at her.

She wondered if he really hated her so much. His face expressed nothing, and his eyes were cold, but she knew for a fact that very deep and tumultuous emotions were boiling in his soul, and too often. She told herself that he was probably one of those people who were capable of loving only one person in their lives, truly, deeply, just one. She didn't doubt that Hanguang-Jun loved his son, and his brother, but that love could never compare with his feelings for his husband. She knew about his love, but what about his hate?

- Of course, Master. – she bowed again, and started telling the tale again.

Wei Wuxian was listening, at first quite motionless in his lover's arms, but as the story progressed, he turned around to face her too. He bit his lips and winced in pain immediately. A few days ago, he probably would have made some comment about it, but now he trusted his husband's judgement better, more fully, and remained silent.

- Did you know the legends of the Qilin  before you had that dream, Mistress? - Hanguang-Jun asked sternly.

- No, Master. Actually, Sue Lin told me a bit about it just this morning. – she bowed again.

- Hmmm. You can leave. If you need anything, let Bai Li know, or your Master Wen. – he said.