45. Panic

Amelia Lovecraft

It's the weekend, and I've been helping dad at the library. While Lincoln had left the pack borders regarding his family business. He called me earlier this morning, saying he'll be back by noon. Tonight, we were planning on going out for dinner.

Three hours had passed and a few borrowers had come and gone. Since there wasn't much to do, I sat by the window with a coffee in hand. Dad was helping a little girl find her book. Just then my phone buzzed. I felt giddy hoping it was Lincoln, but to my surprise it was an unknown number.

"Hello?" I answered.
"Mia?"
"Hey Penny!" It's been like forever since I heard from her. So much had happened after I left the mansion that day.

"I was hoping you'd be free to talk." I could feel her warm smile as she spoke.

"I'm free. I missed you so much Penny!"

"Same here Mia! But I've been hearing the news of how you've been getting along with Alpha Lincoln and it makes me so happy. I wanna see you both together my dear." I chuckled at her adoration.

"How are you and the other girls?"
"All good, we just wish you hadn't left us. The mansion was so much alive and happy with you around." Her voice laced sadness.

"I hope you understand why I had to do that Penny, I'm sorry I had to leave like that." I bit my lip.

"Please don't be sorry Mia. I understand. But..." she began pondering over her words. "You were both happy together at the mansion, until that morning." Should I tell her about what Patricia the maid said to me? Would Penny keep it a secret.

"Penny I-"

"It's Patricia isn't it? That morning she was alone with you in the kitchen. Oh Mia, only if I had known then. Oh goddess, she made you go through the rejection!" Penny began rambling through the phone. I had to go see her and comfort her. She sounded like she was in fault. Before I could console her with words, a familiar voice echoed through the speaker.

"Penny! Did I hear you right?" His voice shook with anger. I abruptly stood up, my hand covered my mouth in shock. What time was it? A quarter to one. Lincoln had come back.

"Penny!" I called out to her.

"Al- Alpha I..." The line died.

Penny was in trouble. She is in trouble because of me. I knew what Lincoln is capable of doing when he's angry. As my feet dragged me to my car, I tried calling him but he wouldn't pick up. Giving my clueless father a quick wave I drove away.

I stopped in front of his mansion and there was no one to be seen, except for a gardener who said that Lincoln was at the pack house.

~~~~~

Parking my car, right beside his, I walked through the door.

"Mia darling!" Luna Catherine came up to me.

"Luna, I need to see Lincoln. Or Penny? Anyone?" My voice sounded frantic.

"Calm down Mia. Is everything alright?" She inspected my face. I shook my head.

"Mia?" Tyler walked down the stairs.