35. Responsibilty

Amelia Lovecraft

"Maybe the next time we go out for lunch or dinner, I could drive you Mia." Kayden smirked at Luke. "Look at your little bodyguard already mind linking his Alpha."
I turned around when Luke hopped into his car to follow me as usual.
I only heaved a breath for Kayden's comment. "Next time?" I raised my eyebrows.
"Why not?" He gave me a charming smile. "Are you afraid Lincoln won't like it?"
Why does it matter what Lincoln thinks I thought to myself. I shook my head. "I'll see you Kayden. Bye now!"
"Catch you soon Mia." He winked before walking to his car.

~~~~~~

Later that night...

"It's all in here Mia. We weren't meant to be. In our case the moon goddess made a mistake,"

Why did I feel like I felt the same way Kayden did, maybe the moon goddess did make a mistake with making Lincoln my mate. He did fall in love with Sarah instead of waiting for me. Whatever he feels now or what I feel for him is only the bond. I was almost going to kiss him, what was I even thinking?

"For a day, yes and the next day you're good as new."

Kayden spoke of the rejection process. My heart ached even as I thought about it. It was a very sensitive topic for any wolf and surprisingly he just brushed it off like it meant nothing.

Kayden seemed like a friendly person but those eyes held a mystery. Maybe in a couple of days I could get to know him better.

I tossed to the left side staring at my closet while I lay in my bed. All I had to do was open the closet and take the blazer and have a little whiff of his scent. The temptation was so strong. Instead I took the bottle of water from the night stand and drank it. Now that's how you distract yourself Mia. Good job! I pulled the blanket over my head and fell asleep.

~~~~~

The next days have been quite fun for me since Kayden hung out with me for lunch. I have got to know him better, about his family who live in the south since they own a whole estate there. He even offered to take me to their place one day. I hadn't agreed to the idea at first but the more I got to know him, he wasn't so bad after all. Something that he hadn't been comfortable talking about was about his mate. Well ex mate I have to say.

"I don't think I can accept him just like that Lena." I spoke to Selena on the phone.
"He's your mate Mia, how long can you fight the pull?" She asked.
"I don't know..." I bit my lip.
"Make up your mind Mia, you either want him or don't want him." She scolded. Selena huffed when I kept quiet. "Fine you don't want him. We'll stick to that."
"I didn't say that..." I muttered.
"Huh? What's that I didn't hear you." She pretended that she didn't hear me. I groaned in return.
"Talk to Lincoln about the rejection process and get it on with Kayden. He seems like a hunk too." I could imagine her gleaming with a cheeky grin.
"I don't see him like that, he's a friend.."
"Then Alex?"
"No, I don't see anyone like that Lena. Just stop!" Selena was giving me a headache now.
"Hold on, my baby is hungry." I could hear her ripping a packet. She munched something and hummed in delight.
"The way you put it, Kayden is trying hard to impress you, don't act dumb Mia."
"I'm not acting dumb, it's only a few days since I have known him and he seems nice to hang out with. That's all." I explained.
"You feel nothing to any other male because of your one hell of a mate Mia. Women without a mate drool over that man across the whole country. So I totally get it." I drummed my fingers against the counter at her statement.
"Lena, it's not that easy." If I could only tell her the battles within myself. A part of me wants to be in his arms and the other hates him for how much he hurt me by being with Sarah.
"The last time I spoke to him about the rejection, he didn't take that well. I wonder what'll happen if I say it again." My inner voice questioned me if I wanted to be separated from Lincoln.
"Don't pressure yourself Mia, but you're making it harder by dragging it."