43. The Mateless Alpha

Amelia Lovecraft

The next morning after the rejection, I woke up with puffy eyes lids and a parched throat. No cell in my body had the strength to begin the day. As for my heart. It felt like it wasn't beating at all. Amaya, Tania and Lily tried reaching out to me, but I was in no mood to talk to anyone. Apart from having some food and water, I laid on my bed, just staring out the window.

The following day, the elders had called upon the pack for an announcement. Something that had to do with our rejection.

It was to let the pack know, that their Alpha no longer had a mate. This gives a chance to any male wolf to challenge Lincoln for the position of an Alpha, in their wolf form. If anyone defeats Kai, we would have a new Alpha. That would be the first time it ever happened in the Blood Hunters Pack history.

They say it's the best time to defeat an Alpha, after the loss or rejection of a mate. The process makes your wolf vulnerable, making it easier to be conquered. Or it makes the wolf more aggressive, it meant the opponent wouldn't make it out alive. Goddess knew how Kai was feeling right now.

Waking up this morning, I felt like all my energy was drained out. Heera has been completely shut off. Though I had my parents with me, a feeling of loneliness lingered around me. Dad thought I'd stay home for a couple of days and Alex was willing to give it to me.

Finishing my morning business in the washroom, I climbed back into the comfort of my bed and laid inside my blanket. My chest felt tightened and even the slightest breeze, pricked my skin.

"When all this is over, promise me you'll give me a chance."

I nibbled on my bottom lip, thinking over his words.

~~~~~

Everyone was gathered at the pack's training grounds. All the pack members. I walked through the crowds with my parents, feeling each one's eye on me. They knew what had happened. I was the reason the gathering today happened. Even though dad had asked me to stay back, something in me couldn't come to do it. I wanted to see Lincoln, I prayed no one fights him today. Amongst the murmurs we stood. There was a vast amount of bare land, where the announcement would take place.

Tyler and Matt walked up to the centre, looking rather cold and completely unapproachable. I looked at them just as everyone did. Tyler made contact with me, his eyes still looking withdrawn. With a curt nod he looked away. He probably hates me for what I did to his Alpha, more over his good friend.

The crowds made way as Lincoln walked up with the elders and a few other men in suits I haven't seen around the pack. Confusion struck me. "They're from the werewolf council." Dad whispered as I looked completely clueless.

Nodding my head at his words I looked back at the men who now made an appearance. Unlike them, Lincoln only wore, sweatpants and a T-shirt. His face completely void of any emotion. As my eyes kept following his every move, he never noticed me in the crowds.

He crossed his hands over his chest, and stood tall amongst all the men there. The men from the werewolf council said something to him, and he gave them a nod to proceed.

"A good afternoon to the werewolves of The Blood Hunters pack. We're here today to inform you that your Alpha Lincoln Hunters, has no longer has a mate." One of the men spoke up, the murmurs kept growing, most of them directed to me.
"Therefore there's a possibility that the pack would be led without a Luna. A few packs under my watch have been led by an Alpha alone indeed, but a large and still expanding pack as yours may need an Alpha and his Luna to rule together. In my personal opinion." He looked again at Lincoln, who nodded in agreement. "So if anyone thinks that Alpha Lincoln isn't worthy of being the pack's leader alone or if you think you have what it takes to beat this man. Step forward, because this is your chance." He tapped Lincoln's shoulder before stepping behind with the elders. Tyler and Matt walked up and stood beside him, waiting for anyone to challenge Lincoln. Lincoln stood there, accessing the whole crowd. His eyes looking cold and predatory.