32. Orders

Amelia Lovecraft

Kayden and I arrived at the Ferris Wheel. We got into our seats, facing each other. He stretched his arms out on each side of the bench, making himself comfortable. I sat on the corner, leaning towards the window, peaking out looking at Lincoln, who now had his back to me talking to Tyler and Tania. Tania being the shy girl, I wondered how she'd feel around an intimidating character like Lincoln, but to my surprise, she grinned at something he said to her.

Lincoln's posture tensed up again as a guard walked his way, he murmured something to him. Lincoln nodded his head to Tyler, probably saying something to him before walking away.

I was hoping he'd look my way, and just then as if he heard my thoughts he glanced back at me for a few seconds before leaving the fair.

"Must be hard?" Kayden spoke silently.
"Sorry?"
"To fight the attraction towards a mate." He finished expressionless.
I could only sigh, unable to talk about myself and Lincoln to a stranger. "Tell me about your mate." I asked.
He cleared his throat, "I got no mate." He shrugged.
"Yet!" I told him.
He shook his head with a smile, "the moon goddess can be very unfair at times."
I had to agree to what he said.
"In our cases..." he spoke further. Even though his body seemed relaxed, I could feel he was frustrated for some reason. It could mean he missed his mate.
"I wouldn't blame the goddess for the mistakes, we as wolves tend to make." I said. Kayden's eyes bore right into mine, trying to find more meaning to my words.
"I guess, you're right." He looked down at his shoes.

The Ferris wheel kept moving higher and higher. We were now above the trees.

"It's a shame for a man to not notice a lady like you. Especially when the goddess made you, his very mate."

"Like me?" I laughed.

"Like you. Beautiful, smart and strong."

"Are you flirting with me Mr. Foster?" I huffed playfully. Crossing my hands, feeling a little uneasy under his stare.

He chuckled looking away, "please don't blame a man for trying."

"You're very funny."

"Funny? You can't hurt my feeling like that Amelia." He placed his palm on his chest. I rolled my eyes at him before we both began to laugh. "Oh look, this is the best view." He pointed towards the window. I gasped at the vast lands of our pack. The mountains and the forest covered the borders. The lake waters shimmering under the sun. Through the green trees you could see the stream flowing by. The route that Kai and Heera took, when they first met. It was all visible.

"This is so beautiful." I spoke to Kayden, but my eyes still travelled all over the territory. It was indeed a picturesque sight.
"So damn beautiful." He agreed.

~~~~~

The next day...

Since my shift starts late today, I was excited to go see dad and spend some alone time at his library this morning. Libraries had always been a place of solace for me. Lost in the world that the books held. The comfortable silence within those walls.

Leaving my hair a little damp, I wore a yellow summer dress. Wearing some light make up, I walked out the door towards my car.