Part 99

Part 99

Victor POV

I hate these concerts more than anything. The only reason I even have a smile on my face right now is because Princess and all of my brothers are here.

Gabe had to bring all the things with us today for my concert tomorrow. My concert tux, and my after concert tux plus shoes for both. Then there is my bag of sheet music, not that I need it. During the rehearsal phase it is unprofessional to not show up with your music. If the director gives direction on the two songs I am playing with the symphony, I need to write it on my music.

I normally am a soloist. But this time I am a guest performer doing two songs with the symphony and I have an additional 5 solo pieces. Since this concert is on Thanksgiving night, it is to kick off the Christmas season. All of my songs are to be winter related pieces or Christmas songs.

The symphony has about 80 musicians and the Symphony Chorus has 300 people singing. This rehearsal is going to be a long one. Although they have assured me that I am going to go through the two songs with the symphony and choir first, then they will all take a break while I run through my five solos for the director.

Gabe made sure everyone in my 'entourage' is dressed appropriately. Mr. B is not wearing a full suit this time, but he does have on dress slacks, button up shirt and tie with a sports coat on. He looks the part of my 'manager'. Silas, North, and Nathan have on dress slacks and nice button up shirts in different colors and look to be my 'body guards'. Doc has on slacks, a button up lavender shirt and yellow tie as my 'personal physician'. He is of course carrying his doctor bag for any emergency. Kota looks similarly dressed to Mr. B and he is my 'manager's assistant'. Gabe is dressed in slacks, button up and tie, but with flare, as my 'stylist'. Luke has on the slacks and button up shirt, partially undone (which was a fight in the party bus) as the 'assistant stylist'. And Sang is my 'personal guest' for the concert. Each guest performer gets one personal guest that can go backstage. Everyone else needs to have a title in your entourage.

"Our guest performer is here now, Mr. Victor Morgan." The director announces.

As I step out on stage with just the performers they all stand and clap for me. I bow to them and make my way to the piano. Kota already had my music set out for me with 2 pencils in case I need them.

I nod to the director that I am ready. He gave us the lead in beat and we were playing 'Sleigh Ride'. This is a fairly annoying song as a performer but always a crowd pleaser. We go through the varying hiccups with the xylophone being behind the beat, the horns too loud in the place, and more crack needed on the whip sound. Once all the direction was given, we do it again so it's right.

Fifteen minutes later we have moved on to the second song. We all shuffled our music to 'the Christmas Song' (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire). Again, the problems. Too much timpani drums, not enough cello, first and second violins are not together, and "richer sounds all around people" bellowed the director. Then we do it again to make sure it is right.

When we finally completed the second song, the directo put his hand out flat, open palm toward me and again the symphony and chorus applauded. I gave them the thank you nod and slight smile (about the same smile Mr. B gives people).

"Chorus and orchestra, take a break but remain quiet backstage." The orchestra always exits first since they are carrying instruments. During that time I can see a bunch of the women in the choir are winking at me, waving at me and talking to each other while pointing at me. Ugh! I am NOT into cougars. The choir then gets up and exits stage left.

The director sat on a stool at his podium and turned to listen to me run through my set. Even though these are my solos, as the director he still has a say on how I perform each song. Mr. B, Kota, Doc and Princess are all sitting in the audience seats on the fourth row center stage. I try to just think about playing for my family. My set is: