Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 52

Hey all :) I've made this chapter a little longer than usual to make up for the amount of time it took me to upload.

Pic of the most adorable Wolves ever  --->

Ashley's POV

I glare at Yamato's Wood Style clone as I slide backwards across the dirt, having narrowly avoided getting run through by one of his Wood Style: Falling Earth Spears. Those suckers are hard to avoid, considering they just come tearing up out of the ground.

"Use the Jutsu we've been practising Ashley!" the real Yamato calls, sitting a top a boulder somewhere off to my far left. "You have to get used to using it in battle!"

"And make sure you're quicker than last time" Yamato's clone taunts, leaping towards me with a kunai as I frown and slap my hands together. "Or I'll beat you again!"

"Wood Style: Silent Strangle Jutsu!" I shout, performing the necessary hand signs and throwing my right arm out to the side. I pull a face as I feel my arm begin to tingle, the cells in my skin transforming and morphing my flesh and bones into thick, chakra enhanced bark.

Captain Yamato has been working me really hard this last week, wanting to get me to the point where I can perform this Jutsu quickly and apply it in battle. While he can be a hard task master at times, he's been incredibly patient and helpful as well. I was so hesitant to learn the Silent Strangle Jutsu, finding it very strange to change part of my body into a tree, but Captain Yamato was persistent. He helped me through my reluctance and now, I'm getting pretty quick with this Jutsu, if I do say so myself.

Flashing my teeth at Captain Yamato's clone in a smirk, I throw my right arm forwards and concentrate on adjusting my chakra flow, causing my now wooden arm to rapidly elongate and separate into multiple branches.

"Oof!" the clone exhales sharply, as he is slammed in the stomach by my wooden arm, the branches curling around his body and pushing him up into the air. The clone's legs dangle in the air as I use the branches to pin his arms to his side, a thin branch also curling around his neck.

I feel my right arm shake a little as I squint up at my captured target, panting slightly. This has been a more rigorous training session than usual, and I'm actually feeling a little worn out. It's been a long time since I've had to undergo daily training, and even longer since I've had someone teaching me. While Kakashi is my Sensei and he's taught me a lot, we've never really done a lot of one on one sparring or anything, like what Captain Yamato and I have been doing. My body isn't used to the constant pressure.

"Good job Ashley" Captain Yamato compliments, sliding down from the boulder and nodding his head. "You've really improved. I'm quite impressed."

"Thanks Captain" I breathe, gently lowering his clone to the ground and releasing him, before retracting my wooden arm back to me. I can't help pulling another face as the bark of my arm forms back into flesh, still not used to the weird, tingling sensation.

"I'm surprised by how quickly you've picked up on the Jutsu" Captain Yamato comments, tilting his head as I bend over and rest my hands on my knees, breathing a little heavier than usual. "I didn't think you'd do so well to be honest."

I let out a short laugh, lifting my head to glance up at the sheepish looking ANBU.

"Well, to be fair" I begin, raising an arm to rub the back of my head, "I did already know how to combine Water and Earth Nature chakra, so that cut out a whole section of training. And besides, you're a good teacher, so it was inevitable I guess.....That, and I pick up on Jutsu pretty quickly."