Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 43

I'm not telling you what the pic is, but you'll no doubt figure it out about halfway through the chapter lol  --->

Third Person’s POV

As Tanzaki falls to the ground, tripped over by Nobu’s Water whip around her ankles, Tozoku flings her handful of kunai at the Mist Ninja. Tanzaki winces as she hits the ground, only for her eyes to widen as she turns her head and sees the kunai heading for her.

Four kunai suddenly shoot out from the trees, precisely aimed as they counter Tozoku’s kunai and send them ricocheting in all directions. Frowning, Tozoku bends her leg back, aiming to jam her knee down into Tanzaki’s back.

Before she can connect with the Mist Ninja however, someone bounds out from the trees and leaps at the red head. She feels something slam into her side, sending her flying to the left with a pained shriek and crashing into a tree, her ribs hitting the bark with a crunch.

Exhaling sharply from the impact, Tozoku crumples to the ground, as the person that had tackled her lands on the ground beside Tanzaki, resting down on one knee. The Mist Ninja looks up suspiciously, only to see a scowling Ashley kneeling beside her.

“Three against one is a bit unfair” the girl comments, narrowing her eyes as Tozoku rubs her ribs and raises her head, one eye scrunched closed in pain.

“What are you doing here?” Nobu demands to know, stomping her foot and glaring at the blonde Leaf Ninja.

“I’m just here to even the odds a bit” Ashley replies, swiping her arm up. As she does so, Nobu’s water whip slices in half, releasing Tanzaki from its grip. Seeing the water splash harmlessly to the ground, Tanzaki pushes herself to her feet and takes up a defensive position, eyes flicking between Takishimaru and Tozoku, who is also climbing to her feet.

The Mist Ninja stands beside Ashley, though they’re facing different directions. She wasn’t entirely sure why the Leaf Ninja had helped her, but she was just going to have to trust her for the moment.

“Well, whatever” Nobu smirks, moving her weight to one foot and placing a hand on her hip. “Takishimaru and I can take the both of you anyw-”

Nobu cuts herself off and casts an annoyed look over at Tozoku, who has begun laughing to herself, head hanging towards the ground. The red head steadies herself by placing one hand against the tree trunk, the other hand still on her injured ribs. That had hurt when she’d hit the tree, but at least she’d found who she’d been looking for.

“What’s so funny?” Nobu growls, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at the Grass Ninja, as the others also cast her wary glances.

“I’m so glad you decided to show yourself Ashley” Tozoku says quietly, though her lips are pulling up into a smile. “You’ve just made things ten times easier for me.”

“What are you talking about?” Ashley asks lowly, also narrowing her eyes at Tozoku. She didn’t know why, but she didn’t like the way Tozoku was acting. She had a feeling that things were about to get a lot more difficult.

Tozoku laughs again, her shoulders shaking, as she raises her head to grin nastily at Ashley. The blonde automatically bares her teeth at Tozoku, not liking the look in her eyes.

“Now I don’t have to go looking for you” Tozoku explains, shakily stepping away from the tree she’d hit. “Killing you won’t take as long now.”

In the trees, Kyoku’s blue eyes widen slightly. That girl was planning to kill Ashley? Surely she knew that even attempting such a thing would get her and her comrades immediately disqualified. Not that Kyoku thought Tozoku had the abilities to kill Ashley, but she still thought it was a bold claim for the red head to make. Deciding to remain hidden for the moment, Kyoku carefully monitors the situation before her, ready to jump in as a surprise attack if Ashley needed the help.